• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewed then shortened!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Renewed then shortened!

Hi all,

I'm new to the the forum but have read some of the posts on here which has been most helpful - being a novice to contracting 'n all!

I would be grateful for an opinion really! I'm a contractor novice and I had my first official contract via <agency> last year for a 6 month contract at a Investment Bank Clientco. This comes to an end this week! Two weeks ago I signed a 6 month contract renewal. Today I receive another contract renewal with an email advising that the contract is now for 3 months.

In short, can they do this even I have signed for 6 months. It isn't a new contract just an extension document.

Any advice appreciated!

PMOmonster
    Last edited by PMOmonster; 29 January 2009, 10:14. Reason: Removing name

what is the notice period on the original contract, the first extension and adjusted extension?

Comment

Your contract is only ever as long as your notice period. Not a lot you can do.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Please be wary about quoting the agencies name. I know for a fact that the guy in question trawls this site and gets, er,
        very protective.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Spot on. Even if it says 3 months, 6 months, 10 years, the reality is the notice period.

Comment

Would agree with that. However it may be worth arguing for a rate increase. I used to charge more for shorter contracts so no harm in trying it on with your pimp/client.

Comment

Contract renewed then shortened

Hi DS23,

The end date is 30th January (tomorrow) it was renewed until the 31st July and now the end date (tbc) is April. The notice period is 1 week from me and the clientco does not need to give me any!

I should have included a caveat!

Comment

Hello Eternaloptimist,

Thank you for the heads up - have removed and will be more careful in future.

Regards
                PMOMonster

Comment

Hello Oracleslave,

It's a good suggestions however I am little wary of doing this as they have generally been cutting rates in other areas.

Will just have to chew it I guess!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help, it really is appreciated.

PMOmonster!

Comment

Sometimes, it's not even that long.

My first gig, they got rid of me with no notice - there was a clause that said something like "we can terminate with immediate notice if we are not happy with your work". So they said "we're not happy" and terminated it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X