• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please read with positivity specs on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please read with positivity specs on

Having been benched for a long while I go to town with the wife once in a while to just get out.

I went to the local Mall (shopping centre for the older generation) and was quite literally horified. It started when I was ambling along minding my own business, staring at the floor while walking along aimlessly. I looked up just in time to notice some lad walking right through me, an aggressive look on his face and intent in his expression. I knee-jerked out of his way and immediately felt somewhat less of a male for doing so, but on reflection had a narrow squeak. What would my 2 year old and pregnant wife made of me getting into fisticuffs when I only went to town to buy shoes. Well they would have thought me a total a*se and rightly so.

But I have been reflecting (and damn you I will start a sentence with a conjunction, I'm in that kind of mood), society is and has been in decline for years. I mean hundreds. I reflected that we have stabbings, but so did the Victorians. Today is somehow different, I mean stabbings are done in broad daylight outside McDonalds for the sake of a burger.

Children are surely their most precocious for decades. Everything at their feet, not having to work for anything, the health and safety moguls placating their every whinge - much the same as the adults.

There just seems to be no respect in society any more, no sympathy, no national pride. There is no value placed in being a citizen. We are all so insular.

I had possibly the most devious of "pimp strategies" tonight. A pimp rang me at 4pm with the most astounding job offer, and asked if I had anything on otherwise. I foolishly mentioned I had an interview in X area in Y industry and was waiting to hear feedback. He said he had a gig and would like to email me the spec.

3 hours later I got a call from an agency with an amazing offer in the same area, within the same industry sector and I immediately said I had quite possibly already been put forward. He said he hoped he had a different company and quizzed me for a name and I stupidly gave it. He gave a different company name, and feigned relief. He then quizzed me for a name in that company and I got suspicious and gave a false one. The promise of a job spec was left ringing in my ears as he rang off.

I am just totally down. I feel like a total mug. But (here I go again with the bad syntax) I just feel totally angry with the world. Just how devious are these f****** pimps getting. I have a new policy, new role details only, rate, place, duration. "Do you have anything else on at the minute?" Yes indeed but I refuse to discuss it.

My point is this. Whether you are going to the mall, or just receiving a polite call from a pimp you need to have your "radar" on. The credit crunch seems to have created an air of obnoxiousness the moment you deal with the outside world.

Perhaps I have been benched too long, or am too sensitive but whatever it is I have a serious downer on the world at the moment.

What of

Honesty
    Decency
    Valour
    Integrity

Have they all been deprecated?

Rant over, thanks for reading if you have.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    But I have been reflecting (and damn you I will start a sentence with a conjunction, I'm in that kind of mood), society is and has been in decline for years. I mean hundreds. I reflected that we have stabbings, but so did the Victorians. Today is somehow different, I mean stabbings are done in broad daylight outside McDonalds for the sake of a burger.
    These thoughts are nothing new, I think we all get them to an extent and I think that is to do with how we react to change as we get older. I have a little time to develop that train of thought at the moment so I might pursue it. Part of me thinks it would be good to contribute one philosophical piece of work to the world, but the other part of me can't be arsed.

There was a good show on the beeb* a year or two ago. They juxtaposed modern louts in the wild (Essex) with the correspondence from the concerned middle-classes about how destructive that behaviour was and represented the moral decline.

EDIT - * It might have been been on Channel 4, and it might have been linked with the 7 Deadly Sins, but the point stands.

The twist was that the correspondence from the concerned middle-classes was in fact written two or three hundred years ago (I can't remember the exact dates).

The point was what the likes of us percieve to be a decline in standards probably isn't because these "declines" have been a cause of concern time and time again throughout history.

My challenge to you on this would be - Can you pin-point the Zenith that was reached before the Moral Decline started? I'll bet you that whatever date you think you can pick, we can find contemporary examples of people worrying about "Moral Decline" (not that I have any resources other than google to find them should you choose to call my bluff ).

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I had possibly the most devious of "pimp strategies" tonight. A pimp rang me at 4pm with the most astounding job offer, and asked if I had anything on otherwise. I foolishly mentioned I had an interview in X area in Y industry and was waiting to hear feedback. He said he had a gig and would like to email me the spec.

3 hours later I got a call from an agency with an amazing offer in the same area, within the same industry sector and I immediately said I had quite possibly already been put forward. He said he hoped he had a different company and quizzed me for a name and I stupidly gave it. He gave a different company name, and feigned relief. He then quizzed me for a name in that company and I got suspicious and gave a false one. The promise of a job spec was left ringing in my ears as he rang off.

I am just totally down. I feel like a total mug. But (here I go again with the bad syntax) I just feel totally angry with the world. Just how devious are these f****** pimps getting. I have a new policy, new role details only, rate, place, duration. "Do you have anything else on at the minute?" Yes indeed but I refuse to discuss it.

My point is this. Whether you are going to the mall, or just receiving a polite call from a pimp you need to have your "radar" on. The credit crunch seems to have created an air of obnoxiousness the moment you deal with the outside world.
    This isn't new either.

Pimps have been trying this on for years. I think that there are many of us that have fallen for that trick. I did once when I was starting out.

So don't feel too bad about it, just don't fall for it a second time.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 29 January 2009, 05:06. Reason: Accuracy concerns.

Comment

I refer the honourable member to the reply I gave some weeks ago

(There's quite a bit more like that in Tacitus' writings, if you care to look. Plus ca change, plus ca ne change pas, or something equally foreign.)

Comment

suityou,

can sympathise with your experiences and feelings, however this is the world we live in

how long have you been on the bench, what area of IT are you in, how does your cv look, what are you doing to try to have more of a chance of getting off the bench, widening the geographical contract search, widening the technical area of interest, reducing the rate etc ?

maybe we can help with some ideas

all the best

Milan.

Comment

There's only one solution to the devious pimp and anti-social yob problem... roof-top snipers.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sorry to hear of your lament - you sound like a very decent person and its disturbing to reflect for many the kind of boorsih behaviour you mention is sadly all too common nowadays.

There is and can be no excuse for violence or rudeness in society, however underhand tactics in the cut and thrust world of business can be summed up by the old Spanish proverb

'Money and Honour
            Do not belong in the same purse '

Good luck in your job hunt - keep plugging and Im sure you will find what you are seeking.

Nihil Desperandum
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 January 2009, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I refer the honourable member to the reply I gave some weeks ago

(There's quite a bit more like that in Tacitus' writings, if you care to look. Plus ca change, plus ca ne change pas, or something equally foreign.)
              As it was, the morality of their fathers, which had by degrees been forgotten, was utterly subverted by the introduction of a lax tone, so that all which could suffer or produce corruption was to be seen... and a degeneracy bred by foreign tastes was infecting the youth who devoted themselves to... idle loungings and low intrigues, with the encouragement of the emperor and Senate...

- Tacitus, Annals Book XIV, A.D. 109

Good Old CUK , from Controversial Agency tactics to Tacitus in one link - superb.

Gonzo - good points and I agree that human morality and conduct had been more or less at the same (sub?)standard through History - theres nothing new in moral decline.

Theres a relief - eh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

My challenge to you on this would be - Can you pin-point the Zenith that was reached before the Moral Decline started? I'll bet you that whatever date you think you can pick, we can find contemporary examples of people worrying about "Moral Decline" (not that I have any resources other than google to find them should you choose to call my bluff ).
                +1

However far back you look, you can get quotes from people saying: "Moral decline", "To many immigrants", "Lack of respect".
                Originally posted by cailin maith
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

I know how you feel. As an example when I first had a car in the 60s nobody locked it because it wasn’t necessary. Then came the time in the 70s it was necessary to lock cars but as time went on windows got smashed so I locked items in the boot. Then the 80s boot was forced open. Then robbers tried to rob the car while I was driving so the doors were locked while driving. After
                  Y2k I have had two attempts of hijacking so now I have Tracker and CCTV. What next?

Unfortunately it is our fault that we have a society like this and a government like the one we have. Too many people are content to stay at home and be entertained by their widescreen TVs. Modern media entertainment is the Roman Circus of today. It exists because without it we would question the government. If you don’t like what is going on with society then do something about it. Get off you arse and do something, even better if you are on the bench you have time to do so.

As an example I campaign against corruption in local government. I make videos about corrupt deals and contracts. The City Council hate me especially now they are trying to cover up the loss of 30 million pounds in dodgy investments…

Nothing will change for the better if we all sit back and wait for someone else to make things better.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

From what I read these people who complain are at the trailing edge of a civilisation. I like to think of it as a anti-pattern for a failing society. Next step is economic collapse, then revolution or invasion.

Comment

Working...
                    X