• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The boy did nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The boy did nothing

Britain to suffer worst recession of any advanced nation, says IMF

At some times in my life I've had concerns about finding enough money to pay my bills. Sometimes it's been simple, I just haven't had any money. At other times it has been complex, and I have found myself scribbling on bits of paper to try to work out where the money is coming from, when it's coming, where it's going, and whether it will all work in time or the whole thing will come crashing down.

One thing I learned from that is that all the arithmetic that you care to scribble will not make you any more money: only higher income or lower expenses will do that.

It seems to me that that is what has happened to Gordon Brown: he has spent all those years scribbling arithmetic to make it look better, but has done nothing, or at least nothing much, to increase national income or decrease national expenses. So he made it look better, but he didn't make it work.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Britain to suffer worst recession of any advanced nation, says IMF

At some times in my life I've had concerns about finding enough money to pay my bills. Sometimes it's been simple, I just haven't had any money. At other times it has been complex, and I have found myself scribbling on bits of paper to try to work out where the money is coming from, when it's coming, where it's going, and whether it will all work in time or the whole thing will come crashing down.

One thing I learned from that is that all the arithmetic that you care to scribble will not make you any more money: only higher income or lower expenses will do that.

It seems to me that that is what has happened to Gordon Brown: he has spent all those years scribbling arithmetic to make it look better, but has done nothing, or at least nothing much, to increase national income or decrease national expenses. So he made it look better, but he didn't make it work.
    I think you'll find most of his computations have been geared to calculating his astornomical gold plated pension fund - Broon and Blair have made sure even if the economy collapses for the masses - they are going to have a jolly whacking pension fund - thanks to hard working taxpayers.

In their lives theres something Lacking
    What they needs a damn good Whacking
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 January 2009, 08:15.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      In their lives theres something Lacking
      What they needs a damn good Whacking
      I can't find a rhyme for "plucking".

Comment

Fook me is the penny just dropping with some of you guys re how Labour governments tax and spend the economy into a black hole?

Dreary me.

Comment

I can't find a rhyme for "plucking".
          Bucking
          Clucking
          Ducking
          Mucking
          Rucking
          Sucking
          Tucking
          Trucking
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Interesting: International Financial Reporting Standards are due to be applied to government finances in 2009-10. This will mean that the UK's huge PFI liability will have to be shown on the books, vastly increasing the official figure for government debt.

A poisoned pill for the Tories if they win the next election? It will be claimed that government debt increased under their administration.

Comment

Interesting: International Financial Reporting Standards are due to be applied to government finances in 2009-10. This will mean that the UK's huge PFI liability will have to be shown on the books, vastly increasing the official figure for government debt.

A poisoned pill for the Tories if they win the next election? It will be claimed that government debt increased under their administration.
              The cynic in me also notes that the government have delayed its introduction to a, let us say, more opportune moment?

Comment

Apparently jack Straw let slip yesterday hint of a late Summer General Election, so JUST MAYBE this will be a non-issue.

And lets face it, its not that hard to tell it plain and say this debt was there to begin with and its all Labour debt. Labour can hardly deny it without being caught out by the likes of the Newspapers?

Comment

I wouldn't say he's done nothing - he's spent a lot and sold off gold at a low price, for example...
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X