• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate rise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate rise?

With Vetran in another thread, I am actually curious whether anyone has imposed a rate rise on their agency/client mid-contract in good times, "to reflect current market conditions"?

No. I ask for rate rises as a matter of course. I didn't bother on this months renewal as I take the view the impending deflationary cycle will do that for me...

And no, I never ask for a rate rise mid-contract.
    Last edited by ratewhore; 29 January 2009, 10:56. Reason: didn't answer the question - doh!!
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      With Vetran in another thread, I am actually curious whether anyone has imposed a rate rise on their agency/client mid-contract in good times, "to reflect current market conditions"?
      No because changing the rate mid-contract is mercenary and unprofessional.

It's not like clients would do this in the bad times is it?

Comment

Way back when I was a permy one of our greedy DBA contractors tried this on and my boss at the time served him immediate notice on his contract.

I think it was a bit like the food hall scene in Oliver. There were a few more waiting in the background with their demands who quietly backed down.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

As Ivor Bigun said
          Its called business.
          It's not "mates being nice to each other"
          If costs can be reduced with little risk, it is done - nothing personal.
          Actually that's the difference in a nutshell: contractors are expected to be "professional", companies are expected to do "business". Hmm. Think the word "professional" just dropped out of my private vocabulary.

Comment

There is actually a strong case for doing that, namely the increased credit risk of supplying to a loss making business. Trouble is, Crap Gemini, Accidenture, Logicack etc aren’t playing that game; they’re all swallowing rate cuts and passing them on.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Had consistent rate rises every 3 or 6 months between 2005 and 2008 as it reflected both demand for my skills and running costs of my business (including tax increases),

I have taken rate cuts in the last 12 months which reflects the deteriorating market.

basically one must always adapt to the market, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
                Had consistent rate rises every 3 or 6 months between 2005 and 2008 as it reflected both demand for my skills and running costs of my business (including tax increases),

I have taken rate cuts in the last 12 months which reflects the deteriorating market.

basically one must always adapt to the market, not the other way around.
                But my specific point was to contrast clients/agencies "adapting to the market" in mid-contract, but expecting contractors not to do the same ion the other direction in mid-contract.

Comment

But my specific point was to contrast clients/agencies "adapting to the market" in mid-contract, but expecting contractors not to do the same ion the other direction in mid-contract.
                  Ah, I was lucky enough to usually go direct with clients due to networking

Comment

My thanks to all of those who actually answered the question

Comment

Working...
                    X