• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about dinosaurs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about dinosaurs

How come something catastrophic killed off every single dinosaur (and there were lots of different types and sizes) but did not kill of crocodiles, aligators and large reptiles like the Komodo Dragon?

What enabled these large reptiles to survive but not a single dinosaur?

Don't ask me why I thought of this.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How come something catastrophic killed off every single dinosaur (and there were lots of different types and sizes) but did not kill of crocodiles, aligators and large reptiles like the Komodo Dragon?

My guess would be...their physiology was such that it was able to survive the cataclysmic event that ended the lives of the dinosaurs. Simple survival of the fittest no?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Self-inflicted greed. Some dino's were bankers and were extremely greedy and decided that they were going to do over all the small home owners. When the recession hit, the Bankers celebrated and killed themselves off whilst the home owners were left to starve themselves to death. The crocs were a little bit more sensible and were able to keep themselves afloat through the crisis.

If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Well, some say that the crocodiles etc. are the descendents of the dinosaurs which survived. It's just that the survivors had to compete with those little furry critters.

And although it might well have been a catastrophe that started the dinosauric decline, it still could have taken a few million years for them to finally all kick the bucket.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You haven't said how many words this particular piece of coursework needs to be.

Comment

they might be large reptiles now but back then they were teeny tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Well, some say that the crocodiles etc. are the descendents of the dinosaurs which survived. It's just that the survivors had to compete with those little furry critters.

And although it might well have been a catastrophe that started the dinosauric decline, it still could have taken a few million years for them to finally all kick the bucket.
              My understanding is that the extinction event that killed the dinos shows in fossil records as wiping them out in a short period of time, certainly not millions of years?

I also thought the only descendants of dinos were birds?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                You haven't said how many words this particular piece of coursework needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

It was all these posts from old farts here that made me think of Dinosaurs.

Comment

Most likely, because they needed to eat less as they were smaller.

The herbivores would have died out pretty quickly, the bigger dinos next as they would have their food source cut.

But really, we'll never know - it may have been zeity's lot planting bones in the fossil record and crocs have only been on the planet for a couple of hundred thousand years....
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X