• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bbc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbc

As we know, some BBC video material is not available on the web outside the UK. But they seem to have a new twist now: on the BBC new site, when I sit in Germany and click in a video piece, all I get is a video ad. Not only do I not get the BBC video, I do not get a notice that I can't see it. I just get an ad.

TBH I find this offensive. I accept advertising as the price of "free" content from those who fund content that way, which I realise includes the BBC outside the UK. But to serve up the advertising, and then blitherly, silently, not serve up the content, is IMHO dishonest. It is a form of fraud.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    As we know, some BBC video material is not available on the web outside the UK. But they seem to have a new twist now: on the BBC new site, when I sit in Germany and click in a video piece, all I get is a video ad. Not only do I not get the BBC video, I do not get a notice that I can't see it. I just get an ad.

TBH I find this offensive. I accept advertising as the price of "free" content from those who fund content that way, which I realise includes the BBC outside the UK. But to serve up the advertising, and then blitherly, silently, not serve up the content, is IMHO dishonest. It is a form of fraud.
    Does it not play after the advert? Did on one I watched yesterday (also in DE).

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Does it not play after the advert? Did on one I watched yesterday (also in DE).
      No. I suppose it is meant to, but I have Done Something that stops it. Oh well.

Comment

Well I just successfully watched the one about the edible hotel room with no advert first. The Putin warning one showed a short advert first, the ad stops and then the video is displayed
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
        X