• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1000 jobs down the tubes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 jobs down the tubes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ube-job-losses

London Underground, a TfL subsidiary, said no tube drivers or frontline staff would be affected by the cuts, which it hopes to achieve through a hiring freeze or dropping contract workers.

If they sack anyone there will be industrial action.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If they sack anyone there will be industrial action.
      If they run out of free tea bags there'll be industrial action.

($&%*£^*%@*%&$^%*$^% Bob Crow.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Usually the good ones go and you're left with the dross.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Do train drivers have to do their own version of The Knowledge, like taxi drivers?

If a taxi driver goes to Picadilly station in Manchester instead of London that's one p1ssed-off punter. But if a train driver did it that's a few hundred. And some might be doctors and nurses, who would be hours late for vital operations and lots of children would die.

I think Bob Crow is right, we can't afford to lose that expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Do train drivers have to do their own version of The Knowledge, like taxi drivers?

If a taxi driver goes to Picadilly station in Manchester instead of London that's one p1ssed-off punter. But if a train driver did it that's a few hundred. And some might be doctors and nurses, who would be hours late for vital operations and lots of children would die.

Train 'drivers' don't really drive the train in the way that we might drive cars or boats. Trains don't have steering wheels so you can only go forwards and backwards. If you end up in Manchester it's because you drove your train forwards (or backwards) too far and got unlucky. The skill is stopping the train where it's meant to be stopped and not reading the paper.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

After qualifying to drive a train, they do need to be certified for each route they drive.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Train 'drivers' don't really drive the train in the way that we might drive cars or boats. Trains don't have steering wheels so you can only go forwards and backwards. If you end up in Manchester it's because you drove your train forwards (or backwards) too far and got unlucky. The skill is stopping the train where it's meant to be stopped and not reading the paper.
                That was amazing. You knowledge of trains is fantastic.

Do astronauts steer rockets?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ube-job-losses

London Underground, a TfL subsidiary, said no tube drivers or frontline staff would be affected by the cuts, which it hopes to achieve through a hiring freeze or dropping contract workers.

Don't panic, they're creating 7,000 new jobs http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7858472.stm

... Oh, wrong kind of subway.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    ... The skill is stopping the train where it's meant to be stopped while reading the paper and shotgunning a can of super-cider.
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X