• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small scale scaffolding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small scale scaffolding

I am having cavity wall insulation installed, and due to a single storey lean-to room to the side of my house need a small amount of scaffolding to go over it so the CWI can be installed above. Any idea how to get this? the installation company won't provide it. google just gives me what look like large scale contractors. Any recommendations? I'm in SE London
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Do you have loft access?

I believe they can install the insulation by drilling the wall from the inside at roof level and let gravity and the force of the pump push the insulation down.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

1) Find a building site
      2) Creep in over night
      3) Borrow some of theirs

Top tip: Take it from the top and not the bottom.

Dull but more usefull suggestion: Try hss.com they will probably hire you all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        1) Find a building site
        2) Creep in over night
        3) Borrow some of theirs

Top tip: Take it from the top and not the bottom.

Dull but more usefull suggestion: Try hss.com they will probably hire you all you need.
        I tried HSS but they won't install it - insulation company won't use it unless installed professionally for some wierd reason. Thanks anyway.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          I tried HSS but they won't install it - insulation company won't use it unless installed professionally for some wierd reason. Thanks anyway.
          Yeah, for some reason it's the law (us 'elf and safety police again).

Scaffolding (poorly built) is still one of the biggest issues in construction health and safety. Sorry.

However, for what you're describing, wouldn't a portable scaffold tower be adequate?

http://www.scaffoldtowers.co.uk/speed.html

The insulation company should have access to all manner of scaffolding, surely they use it on a regular basis, or is it only bungalows where you live?
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
            The insulation company should have access to all manner of scaffolding, surely they use it on a regular basis, or is it only bungalows where you live?
            Are they a real business?

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              Yeah, for some reason it's the law (us 'elf and safety police again).

Scaffolding (poorly built) is still one of the biggest issues in construction health and safety. Sorry.

However, for what you're describing, wouldn't a portable scaffold tower be adequate?

http://www.scaffoldtowers.co.uk/speed.html

Thanks - I kind of guessed that

I don't think the tower is enough as it won't bridge over the room at the side of the house. I think I will go back to the insulation co and tell them to sort it or stick it.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't think the tower is enough as it won't bridge over the room at the side of the house. I think I will go back to the insulation co and tell them to sort it or stick it.

They might be able to hire one of these?

http://www.eplaccess.co.uk/default.a...e=Product2Text

They'd have to put someone through the training though.

I would imagine that scaffold for a job like that would be expensive anyway?
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

I am having cavity wall insulation installed, and due to a single storey lean-to room to the side of my house need a small amount of scaffolding to go over it so the CWI can be installed above. Any idea how to get this? the installation company won't provide it. google just gives me what look like large scale contractors. Any recommendations? I'm in SE London
                  I had a similar issue but this guy was able to help.

Comment

2x towers & a platform is what you need.

Any scaffold firm will do a small job like this for you, especially now nobody is building anything...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X