• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R.I.P. John Martyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. John Martyn

Singer-songwriter John Martyn has died at the age of 60. linky

The folk, blues and funk artist was widely regarded as one of the most soulful and innovative singer-songwriters of his generation.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

i saw that. very [very] sad news.

Comment

There's just now way to say how much I love you
      You never made me cry and that's just fine
      Only got my fear to put above you
      You know we all get scared from time to time

Love me with your head and heart
      Love me from the place it starts
      Love me from your head and heart
      Love me like a child

There's just no way to play the things I'm feeling
      No way to tell you all the things you need
      Every day I only feel like stealing away
      To where I know I can be clean

Love me when I'm wild

Laying down the ways to say I need you
      Scared of looking tall and feeling small
      Running through the days I have decided
      Scared of being wrong and that's it all

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        There's just now way to say how much I love you
        You never made me cry and that's just fine
        Only got my fear to put above you
        You know we all get scared from time to time

Love me like a child

There's just no way to play the things I'm feeling
        No way to tell you all the things you need
        Every day I only feel like stealing away
        To where I know I can be clean

Love me when I'm wild

Laying down the ways to say I need you
        Scared of looking tall and feeling small
        Running through the days I have decided
        Scared of being wrong and that's it all

Excellent choice - I think he had a very sensitve Heart - you can see this in other compositions such as 'Bless the Weather' ...

Comment

I know a few folk who knew him when he was part of the folk circuit in Glasgow.

The tales of his drinking are legendary, a bottle of sirits and 15 cans as a warm up before going on stage.

I am surprised he lasted this long. Great artist.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I know a few folk who knew him when he was part of the folk circuit in Glasgow.

The tales of his drinking are legendary, a bottle of sirits and 15 cans as a warm up before going on stage.

I am surprised he lasted this long. Great artist.
            You mean with the HumbleBums pehaps ? Saw him with that lot at the Mushroom in East Kilbride - yes the bar was called The Mushroom - because it was shaped like a Mushroom.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 January 2009, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              You mean with the HumbleBums pehaps ? Saw him with that lot at the Mushroom in East Kilbride - yes the bar was called The Mushroom - because it was shaped like a Mushroom.
              I have met one of them in the Scotia bar where they used to play, being about 18 I was pretty unanware of the whole folk music thing at that point. The guy was moaning about Billy Connolly quite a bit "he was never one of us" "his songs got shorter and his talks got longer" and stuff like that.

The drinking tales came from one of Gerry Rafferty's relatives. Who himself seems to have lost it with the booze these days sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I have met one of them in the Scotia bar where they used to play, being about 18 I was pretty unanware of the whole folk music thing at that point. The guy was moaning about Billy Connolly quite a bit "he was never one of us" "his songs got shorter and his talks got longer" and stuff like that.

The drinking tales came from one of Gerry Rafferty's relatives. Who himself seems to have lost it with the booze these days sadly.
                Was just wondering what became of Rafferty - such a talent - Baker Street still ranks as a Tour De Force - loved the Snakes and Ladders album as well - if the Sax opening to Baker Street doesnt thrill you then I guess youre as good as dead !

I know from Mr Martyns daughter than she often had to go back to his house in the Leadhills - before he went to Ireland to sort out her Dads latest booze induced mess.

When she told me that my respect for this fantastic musician - perhaps the best ever live artist I have heard did wane a wee bit .

But for all that and all that - how brightly he shone - God rest his Soul.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 January 2009, 20:45.

Comment

Heard a story in the music press about Rafferty recently where he booked himself into a suite at one of London's finer hotels ( I believe he still makes a total fortune from Baker Street ) for a week.

When the staff eventually got into the room after a week the place was smashed up, blood on the walls, booze bottles everywhere, carpets had to be replaced for obvious reasons.

Very sad when you are at that age and in that place.

Comment

Working...
                  X