• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop

Can pimps please refrain from ringing me and trying to quiz me about where I've worked when it's obvious from their complete ignorance about the industry i've worked in and the companies involved that they are fishing.

Sorry I just had to rant, I've had one too many timewasters on the phone this week.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Maybe we need a preference phone service for pimps?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Maybe we need a preference phone service for pimps?
      Or a preferably don't phone service
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Can pimps please refrain from ringing me and trying to quiz me about where I've worked when it's obvious from their complete ignorance about the industry i've worked in and the companies involved that they are fishing.

Sorry I just had to rant, I've had one too many timewasters on the phone this week.
        I've had lots of that also. Any more annoyingly they leave you with a false sense of hope at the end "ok you seem really suitable for the job so I'm going to send your CV across to my client and I'll also drop you an email with my contact details" seems to mean "I don't think you are suitable so the quickest way to close this conversation down is to tell you what you want to hear"
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Perhaps you are too polite? They will take advantage of that. I don't find that an unsolicited call wastes much of my time, I don't allow it to.

In a sense a call from an agency is not ultimately unsolicited, because I have put my contact details out there for people to call me if they have something that might be of interest. If they don't have anything of interest, then I don't waste their time and mine by talking for long; but I remain polite enough that I hope they will call me again.

In the meantime, if they ask things that I don't want to tell them, I don't tell them. I evade a couple of times, and they should take the hint that I will not tell them but am trying not to be rude. If they persist, I will refuse. In the end I will launch into a "polite" sentence announcing my termination of the call, and this will be followed immediately and without fail by the termination of the call.

Never being solicited at all is easy enough to arrange, but not what many want. Being solicited only by those you want is a much more difficult trick, ask any good-looking person.

Comment

I do not pick up calls where there is no number showing, cannot be arsed talking to them.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I do not pick up calls where there is no number showing, cannot be arsed talking to them.
              Unfortunately that would eliminate almost all my calls, including from MyCo's other business phone, and my partner! I am in Germany with an O2 business phone, and most caller-ID just doesn't get through.

Comment

Stop

HAMMER TIME

I'm stunned no-one got this awful gag in before me.

Ok where's my damn coat gone?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I'm stunned no-one got this awful gag in before me.
                  We're not all as special as you are
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    more annoyingly they leave you with a false sense of hope at the end "ok you seem really suitable for the job so I'm going to send your CV across to my client and I'll also drop you an email with my contact details" seems to mean "I don't think you are suitable so the quickest way to close this conversation down is to tell you what you want to hear"
                    You can't haven't been doing this for long. After a few weeks, the false sense of hope stops happening, and you feel quite relieved when they don't follow it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X