• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stick your savings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to stick your savings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7857743.stm

The central bank of crisis-hit Iceland kept its key interest rate unchanged on Thursday at a record 18%.

Can I open a bank account and get 18% interest and if it goes tits up get my money back from the UK taxpayer?

No.

Also earning 18% on a currency thats devaluing by the minute versus Sterling is a bit counterproductive wouldn't you say?

Comment

True but Iceland has a better economy with a brighter future than the UK. The UK just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

My savings plan involves upgrading from using tenners as bog roll to using 50's.. the tenners can be using for stoking the fire I think

HTH
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I'm a firm believer in property because it is very difficult to steal, appreciates in value in the long-term and is mostly free of tax, and can also be rented out for an income.
          Thus, in my impending retirement, I intend to keep money in property rather than risk depreciation via inflation, tax etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            I'm a firm believer in property because it is very difficult to steal, appreciates in value in the long-term and is mostly free of tax, and can also be rented out for an income.
            Thus, in my impending retirement, I intend to keep money in property rather than risk depreciation via inflation, tax etc.
            every day in my street

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              True but Iceland has a better economy with a brighter future than the UK. The UK just doesn't know it yet.

You might be right there.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You could always bury them in the garden?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090129...r-c359f57.html

D'oh!

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                X