• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody here know ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody here know ...

.. anybody that has had a hip replacement operation. If so, was it successful, or otherwise ?

My Aunt has had both done and considering her age had very little problems.

There's a little discomfort and the healing process takes a while, you're normally given crutches to help.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Nice to hear that. My father is having one in a couple of weeks and I am a bit concerned.

Comment

I know two people who've had hip replacements,

One a colleague aged about 50, successful but longer than usual recovery time due to the different fittings/procedure they use on younger patients. I have the impression that his recovery was painful, and there are certain practical issues such as taking a dump which I believe caused him much discomfort and inconvenience for many weeks. But he walks about like a spring chicken again now.

One my gf's mother aged about 80, successful, she was up and walking within days.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          .. anybody that has had a hip replacement operation. If so, was it successful, or otherwise ?
          Yep - you should be. I hope its private in a good hospital.

Someone I know had a hip replacment - and now has MSRA in the joint. Horrible and can;t get rid of the infection for the rest of her life.

Comment

Great... even more good news. It looks like the NHS does a good job here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
              Yep - you should be. I hope its private in a good hospital.

Someone I know had a hip replacment - and now has MSRA in the joint. Horrible and can;t get rid of the infection for the rest of her life.

I read a couple of years back about failure rates due to MRSA. Perhaps this is a thing now well in the past.

Comment

My uncle had one about 15 yrs ago, very successful and another last year as the original wore out, both very successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  I read a couple of years back about failure rates due to MRSA. Perhaps this is a thing now well in the past.
                  Ask the consultant about infection rates?
                  Perhaps - check that your mum is recouperating in nice new accomodation - usually the preserve of private health care.
                  If you don't ask......

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                    Ask the consultant about infection rates?
                    Perhaps - check that your mum is recouperating in nice new accomodation - usually the preserve of private health care.
                    If you don't ask......

It's my dad. He has been in this hospital(Hillingdon) three or four times for stays so I think the reputation is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                    X