• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh no, the bearded wonder has died

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no, the bearded wonder has died

RIP Bill Frindall, bowled out by a dose of legionnaire's for 69.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7861363.stm

That's a shame, he brought an oddball occupation to life and was a big part of the TMS gentlemanly presentation of cricket.

Comment

But Noel Edmunds is okay?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        But Noel Edmunds is okay?
        Richard Branson

On second thoughts, sod 'im

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Richard Branson

On second thoughts, sod 'im

Dave Lee Travis.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
            RIP Bill Frindall, bowled out by a dose of legionnaire's for 69.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7861363.stm

Very sad. I grew up listening to him, and once corresponded with him about his scoresheets.

He was a legend in his own lifetime.

Comment

I had a chat with him at Headingly in 1993 when England were losing badly to Australia. At the end of the days play, I was waiting for autographs and spotted the TMS box, so went up there.

Spent quite a while chatting about the England bowling attack.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

TMS won't be the same. First we lost Johnners, and now Bearders. What a great loss. Legionella though
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I had a chat with him at Headingly in 1993 when England were losing badly to Australia. At the end of the days play, I was waiting for autographs and spotted the TMS box, so went up there.

Spent quite a while chatting about the England bowling attack.
                  If I remember that match rightly, most of the conversation would be wondering where it was.

Was that when we inserted and they got about 600?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    If I remember that match rightly, most of the conversation would be wondering where it was.

Was that when we inserted and they got about 600?
                    Indeed it was - 653-4 IIRC (although they won the toss). Border declared on an unbeaten 200...

We were lamenting the loss of an entire generation of fast bowlers, as Fraser was still out injured, Lawrence had knackered his knee etc. And Martin McCague had a stress fracture of his back in that game, too.

Mind you, a bowling "attack" of Caddick, McCague, Illott, and Bicknell was hardly likely to threaten too much. Caddick at one stage picked up an orange that had been thrown onto the pitch and "bowled" it off. "Best f***ing one you've bowled all day" came the shout from the Western Terrace.

Vic Marks described has his highlight of the day when a bloke dressed as Mr. Blobby did a pitch invasion. I was proud to have helped him over the advertising hoardings and onto the pitch
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X