• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Punishment - Time to reconsider?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Punishment - Time to reconsider?

Following on from:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...me-move-2.html

Without sounding too Daily Mail-ish, does the congregation consider that capital punishment should be reintroduced in the UK?

I used to be very, very against it on the grounds that:

a) it seemed inhumane and cruel

b) the justice system was unreliable, and many who where innocent of actual murder, went to their deaths (Timothy Evans, Derek Bentley and many others) and were acquitted posthumously.

In the days when capital punishment was a judicial option, cold-blooded, causal murder was very unusual and made the popular press front-pages for days on end. Now, it seems to happen once a month, in every UK town on a boozed up Friday night.

I say "bring back the rope!"

It's not a conclusion I have come to lightly, but there are so many murderous thugs roaming the streets of our society, who have no regard for life and law, and who will stab you, and/or your wife/children, if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

Forget stuffing the already overcrowded prisons with these inhuman beasts, or trying to 'understand' them, or rehabilitate them -

Just bloody hang them!

Poll to follow...
    Agree, hang all murderers
    31.03%
    Hang only specifically brutal murderers or police killers
    27.59%
    Don't hang anyone - courts make mistakes
    13.79%
    Don't hang anyone - whether guilty or not
    27.59%

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

where's the poll?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      where's the poll?
      Patience!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Patience!
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You have enough faith in our justice system?

Comment

But what if the person that was killed was the evil snot goblin?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

i was talking last weekend to mate who is a local plod. he reckons it wont be long before it goes full circle and policing goes back to the days of giving clouts etc.

He's 31 and blames the parents for majority of the little scrotes causing issues. quite strange to hear that come from someone of our age, i always hear older peps saying that!!
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Same rules apply.

The phrase "I'll swing for him" means: "I will face the consequences of killing him and gladly hang for it".

There are probably a few now who would gladly "swing" for the glorious leader.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  yeah, or an arsenal fan. oops. games up.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Try asking these people. (You may need the services of a good medium to contact some of them.)

Comment

Working...
                    X