• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'British jobs for British workers'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'British jobs for British workers'

Phoned up a previous BoS about contract prospects, given that they have just been taken over and was told, 'nothing here, we're only taking on Indians'.........

Over 100,000 non-EU nationals were allowed into the country last year to work.

When asked how this squared with his statement about British jobs for British people, Gordon Brown waffled that he meant "British companies keeping the British economy going for British people".

Comment

In IT we've had to suffer for 10 years because of foreign workers, especially Indians, undercutting us. At long last the country is waking up and seeing the complete failure of Labour employment policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        In IT we've had to suffer for 10 years because of foreign workers, especially Indians, undercutting us. At long last the country is waking up and seeing the complete failure of Labour employment policies.
        Globalisation in action mate, don't think the tories could or would have done that any differently either. A republican government in the US ended up with with exactly the same outcome. Some things are beyond politics.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Total mince.

Why should an employer pay 600 quid a day for me when he gets bob for 60 quid a day.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Globalisation in action mate, don't think the tories could or would have done that any differently either. A republican government in the US ended up with with exactly the same outcome. Some things are beyond politics.

HMG policy has been to allow thousands of Indians work-permits to compete against us and has increased our unemployment levels. Globalisation is one thing but to actively encourage unemployment in Britain is crazy. Work-permits should only be given where there is a shortage of skills. The Tories would not be so carefree with this policy.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Total mince.

Why should an employer pay 600 quid a day for me when he gets bob for 60 quid a day.

I agree, but it should not be used as a reason to get rid of those already in work. If HMG wants everybody to pay high taxes and to have mortgages, this is very short-sighted and hypocritical.

Comment

HMG policy has been to allow thousands of Indians work-permits to compete against us and has increased our unemployment levels. Globalisation is one thing but to actively encourage unemployment in Britain is crazy. Work-permits should only be given where there is a shortage of skills. The Tories would not be so carefree with this policy.
                IT workers in Britain were unemployed because of foreign workers, coming here, taking their jobs?

They weren't trying hard enough obviously. No reason for anyone in IT in this country not to have work. Well until now that is.

I got no issue with skilled migrants coming to this country. In the main it's to the countries benefit. And I work with plenty of them - btw why do you keep referring to Indians coming here - there's tonnes form many places, Aus, Saffies etc. They're taking as many jobs in my experience, in London at least.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Total mince.

If you think its expensive employing a professional you should see what it costs to employ an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    IT workers in Britain were unemployed because of foreign workers, coming here, taking their jobs?

They weren't trying hard enough obviously. No reason for anyone in IT in this country not to have work. Well until now that is.

I got no issue with skilled migrants coming to this country. In the main it's to the countries benefit. And I work with plenty of them - btw why do you keep referring to Indians coming here - there's tonnes form many places, Aus, Saffies etc. They're taking as many jobs in my experience, in London at least.
                    My first introduction to off-shoreing was when a rogue Asian company offered a 100% millenium bug software solution in the late 90's to the bank i was located at.
                    Subsequently after a few months they were bumped.......
                    (the inconsistent lowercase/uppercase conversions gave the game away that the software solution was banks of 100's post-grad Indians eyeballing code)

Anyway back to the meaning of the post.

I find it deplorable that foreign nationals are working here when british nationals who are on different financial constraints to half a dozen Asian sharing a 500pm bedsit......under cutting us for work.

This Government sucks, betrayed a 1000yrs of history.

British jobs for British workers my @rse.

Comment

Working...
                    X