• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone taking out credit cards in my name!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone taking out credit cards in my name!

Wow!

Unbelieveable. In less than a week I have been notified of two fradulent attempts to open up credit cards(one which succeeded but got forwarded to me) and again today a Halifax Bank account.

The house I sold a year ago has been empty as the women who bought it doesnt want to move in. My redirection stopped a few weeks ago after a year and all of a sudden someone is hammering out applications for cards! I suspect her plumber who has recently been doing some work.

Whats even more incredible is they are using my correct DOB! Well amazed as I was, I thought how could they get that. It's not as if it's available on the web!!

How f-cking wrong I was.

The one piece of mail which never redirected itself properly was my LTD company details for contracting.

So I've just searched around the web and found www.checksure.biz. It allows you to search for directors of companies. Once found, it shows the DOB by Year. This then allows you to search for the director again, but this time allows a search of yyyymmdd. It has unlimited searches!!!!!!!

You can reverse look up someones DOB. So not only can you find out their name from their Web Domain, you can get their freaking address, you can guess their job(especially if they contract) and you can get their freaking DOB correct!!

WTF.

The PCG recommend it for small businesses. I'm going to f-cking have the guys who owns it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

We'll all be much safer when we have ID cards.

Comment

It's not very up to date.

It still has my mother on it - she died 12 years ago.

And my company is still registered at an address from three years ago.

So, not withstanding MF's comments, ISTM that it's not actually very useful for its primary role - checking out the status of a company that you want to do business with

tim

Comment

You can get DOB's of directors from the companies house website for a very small fee. I got stung by this a while ago. Might be a good idea for you to get these details hidden on companies house.

Comment

How does one go about getting stuff like this stopped? Are the police any use?

Comment

easy enough to find politicos, actors, famous businessmen etc. Could be a real tool for the anti-vivesectionist nutters (and others).
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              easy enough to find politicos, actors, famous businessmen etc. Could be a real tool for the anti-vivesectionist nutters (and others).
              I thought they were all in prison now?

Comment

Checked my name sure enough dob, address, WTH?

Surely this information should not be freely available????
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

That's shocking!

Not quite so serious, but yesterday I looked at my receipt from Tesco and 17 digits of 18 of my ClubCard number were displayed. They 'star' out only the last digit!!! So if you find a Tesco receipt you can log on to the owner's ClubCard account if you know or guess their postcode.

OK it's not too bad because the ClubCard online account only tells you their name and points; there is a further login to show the address, email, DOB etc. But this means you can get the name plus last four digits of the credit card, plus expiry date of the card from a dropped Tesco receipt.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    How does one go about getting stuff like this stopped? Are the police any use?
                    No, the government decided that it should be like this. You have to find some way to convince the government to undecide. (assuming you are talking about the web site and not the ID thief.)

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X