• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Indian IT Companies.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Indian IT Companies.....

..feeling the rejection?

Friday recieved 3 calls from India from IT Companies asking if Id be interesting in a role. 2 of the roles they left VM's and also emailed me. The 3rd managed to catch me on the phone.

Went through the role, asked if I was available and said what "rate" I am looking for. THIS IS WHERE IT GOT WIERD

I gave them my daily rate and they said it was a fixed term contract for 6 months renewable and theyd pay "after tax" in my account £2500. I laughed and than began to explain that I work on a daily rate which is considerably higher and told them again how contracting works here and how I like to be paid. So after totally ignoring what I said he comes back with "what would you want to take the role" as he got me on the whim I said try doubling it to £5000 after tax. Phone went quiet and he did the usual "let me check with my manager" around 2 mins later he agreed?! He than asked for my updated CV which I tld him he had and then asked me to review the JD and agree for and interview Friday evening. Over the proceeding 4 hours I got close to 20+ calls from this guy asking me why I hadnt replied etc.

I closed the whole thing with an email telling them I had a better offer which I just took.

Seems the Visa rejections are starting to hurt..........

I dont have a problem with people working here - I do though when its done in an underhanded way like Indian IT Companies do. Revenge is sweet I guess. I also just hear that a well known telecoms company has ended 2 of its Indian IT contracts which placed bods on seats in Central London

India is about to have a can of kick ass and whoop ass served on their IT Industry - just wait till Obama's ideas kick in - Indian IT and alot of their companies will suffer

Good News

I hear both UBS and Deutsche are starting onshoring. I just hope it is true...

Comment

I had a phone 'interview' with an indian outsourcer wanting someone to do some development work for them 3 years or so ago. It became apparent very quickly that they had no understanding of the technology they wanted to use. They offered me the role at a third of the market rate, told them it wasn't worth my while. It seemed as though they had won a bid for some work by undercutting everyone without having any clue about how to do the work.

Comment

There was an Indian outsourcer trying to fill NHS vacancies in Leeds in January. They were needing experienced £400+pd contractors - they were offering £150pd.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My job got outsourced a couple of years ago and during the phone interviews they picked up quite quickly that there was a group of them in the room all answering the questions.

I honestly don't think they will ever get moved on, they have been piss poor for so long with obviously dubious working practices and people still use them.

Comment

Interesting conversation Liability

So what tax were they going to pay any tax on that?

Sounds like they were offering Self Employed? I wonder how many times they have been left with tax to pay when their employees skipped the country, how many benefits they omitted to pay.

Good to see the visa tightening is working, may take the edge off the AMERICA's BLIP (corrected by the Ministry of Thought) for IT.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We had to help the client interview some indian guys in the last gig I did, every CV was the same format, same generic skills.. I think I've already said this previously on here, but first question was:-

"What does ITIL stand for?"...

Didn't know the answer despite having ITIL certification??

The guy also had a habit of repeating the ENTIRE question back to us on the phone for some bizarre reason before answering it. In the end we failed them on their English skills for that very reason, as communication was a big part of the job.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Good News

I hear both UBS and Deutsche are starting onshoring. I just hope it is true...
                At clientco my job got moved to Indian and I was terminated. I was moved to another team. But the outsourcing about to start there.

Comment

Giyf

The guy also had a habit of repeating the ENTIRE question back to us on the phone for some bizarre reason before answering it.
                  Gave his mate time to Google it.

Similar experience 6 years ago.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

De-Nationalising of the UK workforce will be the scourge of this government and will eventually bring it down.

For me to phone up a previous employer to ask about available jobs and to be told that 'we are only taking on Indians at the moment' is a disgrace.........

Comment

Working...
                    X