• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SUOMOTU Clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUOMOTU Clients

This may be a long shot but..

Is there anyone reading this who were clients of the Suo Motu tax planning arrangement involving double taxation and partnerships/trusts based in IOM. A number of contractors are currently being attacked by HMRC with retrospective legislation which will involve serious financial hardship to many. (see BN66 thread). It is believed you were offered a 'deal' by HMRC sometime in 2002-2003, involving 30% of trust income and no NI. We have just been denied Judicial Review, partly on the basis that no evidence is available that other taxpayers were treated differently in the past who used precisely the same arrangement. It is critical to our appeal that we have such evidence. If you have any correspondence from either Suomotu or HMRC outlining such a deal we would be extremely grateful if you would supply it. If you wish to remain anonymous, the wording of such correspondence and especially the names of any tax officers handling the case would still be extremely useful.

Your help would be much appreciated
    Poppy01

CanPayButWouldRatherNot was in the scheme. Most Correspondence was very specific : and some of the stuff was done via phone calls.

As he works close to me I will have a word......

Comment

BP has the details of all that I had ....its was done via email from them and there was (from memory) nothing from the HMRC direct to us. Will ask the other 2 guys i know from suomoto ...one of whom went on to join MTM with me.

Regards
      CPBWRN

Comment

just keeping it at the top, come on suomotu people,

i am going to email tim warr the same request, as he was thick as thieves with alan jones

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
          BP has the details of all that I had ....its was done via email from them and there was (from memory) nothing from the HMRC direct to us. Will ask the other 2 guys i know from suomoto ...one of whom went on to join MTM with me.

Regards
          CPBWRN
          Did you have to resubmit your tax return, or did they accept the DTA exemption claim?

The details of how HMRC settled could be vital to our cause. It is not the terms of the settlement as such (whether it was 30% or 33%) which matter but the manner in which the enquiries were closed.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 March 2009, 16:10. Reason: potentially libellous remark removed by CUK

Comment

[QUOTE=DonkeyRhubarb;760408]Did you have to resubmit your tax return, or did they accept the DTA exemption claim?

The details of how HMRC settled could be vital to our cause. It is not the terms of the settlement as such (whether it was 30% or 33%) which matter but the manner in which the enquiries were closed.

do you have a 'before'/'after' version of your SA.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 March 2009, 16:11. Reason: potentially libellous remark removed by CUK

Comment

Many thanks all those who have PM'ed me with information.
              We would be particularly interested if anyone can supply a copy of the letter Alan Jones provided stating this was a full and final settlement, ie no repayment of taxes paid as part of the deal if the scheme was later proved to work.

Also MP already have a list of the original Suomotu clients (ie those who left MTM for Suomotu following the Alan Jones break-in), are there any clients who joined subsequent to this? PM would be preferable please.

Comment

Bingo!

Today I got sight of the docs : someone is helping me with scanning them in. Will let you know when I am ready to email.

Can't wait until parliament sees what liers HMRC are......

Comment

Working...
                X