• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

redundancy info

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redundancy info

Anyone know any good websites that give legal advice regarding redundancy?

OH has been made redundant or rather is in "consultancy period" and it would be useful to have some decent legal info before he goes into his meeting with work.

Also are they within their rights to remove his access to his computer even though he hasn't officially been made redundant yet?

Thoughts please.

ta!
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Removing computer access is quite the norm, it is known to me as "Gardening Leave".
    I am assuming your OH has been asked to remain off-site untill date/time of meeting?
    Legal stuff: Postion being made redundant not the person. Person has to be given reason with scoring used to single out that postion, scoring must be the same as applied to whole work force, it can not be used to justify picking that person/postion then backfilling the points IYKWIM.

IANAL but have been made redundant 5 times in the previous 8 years.

Pleomax
    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
      have been made redundant 5 times in the previous 8 years.
      Did you make any money out of all those redundancies out of interest?

Comment

There's lot's of info here...

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/empl...ncy/index.html

Go tmade redundent a few months ago. Was a horrible experience and am still waiting for redundency pay...
        If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

BigD,

I could be wrong but when I was made redundant I was advised that the payout had to be done within a month from the date of leaving (or from the date an agreement is reached ie pay in lieu of notice).

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Did you make any money out of all those redundancies out of interest?
            First time yes got paid 2 months money and had beent here only 18 months. Not since then, last time was entertaining, told the director that he had failled to do a risk assesment on my role and leaving me sitting at the desk "could" be detrimental as others may use my "access" to the detriment of the business. Guy was so up him self and told me I had to work 3 months notice period.

Asked for the matrix chart that detailled me and the receptioist and quality department being made redundant but it never materialised.

I walked in the next day and told them i was clearing my desk and not coming back. The director called me into his office at 4:55 waffled on about how i couldn't do this etc at 5:01 i tossed him my security pass and said I no longer work for you.

Walked into a contract the next day and during those 3 months earnt more than i had in the previous 6 months at permie role, but that was some time ago.........

More than you wanted to know.

Pleomax
            Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

More than you wanted to know.
              Was interested because some folk almost make a career out of getting made redundant and if it happens enough times can actually make really tidy sums out of it.

Comment

IANAL but have been made redundant 5 times in the previous 8 years.
                For the safety of others in the workplace, please never take another permie job again - sounds like you're a curse!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Was interested because some folk almost make a career out of getting made redundant and if it happens enough times can actually make really tidy sums out of it.
                  I worked on a site where one guy there seemed to make a career of claiming that he was discriminated against on racial grounds, and moved from company to company with a nice pay-off each time.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
                    BigD,

I could be wrong but when I was made redundant I was advised that the payout had to be done within a month from the date of leaving (or from the date an agreement is reached ie pay in lieu of notice).
                    Yes, I was told similar things. My problem is that the company I worked for went into administration, (and then liquidation) and the administrator made me, and every other employee redundent, so I cant contact my previous company for assistance.

I've been badgering the redundency payments people for updates for ages, and have now been told that the list of details they recieved from the administrators included every previous employee, exept 2 (me and some other poor sod).

They are now waiting for the administrator to send them my details, to ensure they match up with what I filled out on my claim form. She did also say that they are extremly busy, and won't even look at my claim again for at least another 2 weeks (this was last friday), let alone chase up the administrator to get them to send the paper work

I have the contact details for the administrator, but needless to say, he is always busy and the promises of returned phone calls never materialise...
                    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X