• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC/CTC clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC/CTC clearance

Anyone know how I can go about obtaining SC or CTC clearance? Quite a few jobs I've seen advertised require this.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Anyone know how I can go about obtaining SC or CTC clearance? Quite a few jobs I've seen advertised require this.
    You can only get it if a List X company puts you forward for it, which makes getting it as a contractor very difficult. Sorry!
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      You can only get it if a List X company puts you forward for it, which makes getting it as a contractor very difficult. Sorry!
      A real Catch 22.... You need Clearance to get the role..... You can't get the role without Clearance.........

Comment

CTC shouldn't be a barrier as it's a simple check that doesn't take long or cost much, SC and up will be harder to come by.

I once replied to jobserve advert that asked for SC, when it became apparent that the work involved a high street a retail chain I asked why they had stipulated SC? The pimp replied with “The PM thinks SC cleared candidates would be more trustworthy”.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          CTC shouldn't be a barrier as it's a simple check that doesn't take long or cost much, SC and up will be harder to come by.

I once replied to jobserve advert that asked for SC, when it became apparent that the work involved a high street a retail chain I asked why they had stipulated SC? The pimp replied with “The PM thinks SC cleared candidates would be more trustworthy”.
          That's terrifying, if noting else their Clearance would automatically lapse since they wouldn't be working for a List X company or Government Dept.

Chris, sorry to say that Disco is spot on, you can't obtain any kind of Clearance without direct sponsorship by a List X supplier or Ministry.

Believe me when I say that Clearance isn't a passport into roles, there are people posting on this board that have been benched for some time who have clearances of various levels.

Comment

If you have the necessary skills and experience, you'll get the gig. Those of us with clearance didn't have it once so there really is no argument...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              You will find jobs that are prepared to put you through SC Clearance. Because of the time it takes, you may end up waiting 3 to 6 months before it come through.... therefore, traditionally, some companies don't offer it on contracts that are less than 1 year.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I've got BC clearance, last gig wanted SC and I started the application but never got it submitted before I left. Wish I'd got it done now.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  You will find jobs that are prepared to put you through SC Clearance. Because of the time it takes, you may end up waiting 3 to 6 months before it come through.... therefore, traditionally, some companies don't offer it on contracts that are less than 1 year.
                  I think this is one of the reasons why so may public sector projects go tits up. Instead of getting people with the right skills they just take people with clearance instead even if they don't have the right skillset for the role. Stupid...
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    I think this is one of the reasons why so may public sector projects go tits up. Instead of getting people with the right skills they just take people with clearance instead even if they don't have the right skillset for the role. Stupid...
                    Ah, todays biggest pile of poo post.

Well done...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X