• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

53 miles!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

53 miles!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rind-halt.html

Fair enough, but apart from the snow colouring everything white(ish) was the M25 noticably any different from usual?

Comment

What’s the circumference of the M25? Maybe they should go around the other way?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well, it might help if everybody in this country stopped BUGGERING AROUND driving at 40 miles an hour everywhere.

It is NOT acceptable. You are NOT clever. Get your heads from up your arses & get a move on!!

My favourite are the ones who have the cheek to hoot \ flash \ get upset when you overtake them!! Oh how they deserve a bunch of 5's!!

There wasn't a 53 mile long tailback on the M25 today, it is typical Daily Mail senstationalism. There were lots of small incidents \ queues within 53 miles of each other - at no point did they join up & become one large queue. The Highways Agency would NEVER allow this to happen & would shut the motorway & divert traffic away long before it did. Take it from someone who works closely with the agency...

The data collated "by TomTom" is actually point data on reported incidents recorded by Trafficlink from data gleened via the HA, Police, Jamliners etc - if TomToms software reported it as one long queue, it was wrong.

Gritters did seem to be thin on the ground today but most routes had been gritted properly, but not enough vehicles had driven the roads previously to 'activate' the surface treatment...people staying off the roads actually caused the snow to settle & not melt as it normally would if traffic volumes had ground down the surface treatment so it could start working.

It's all simple stuff really, shame the Mail got it round their necks as usual!!
        Last edited by TheVoice; 2 February 2009, 18:04.

Comment

Yeah and we'll laugh our cocks off as you stove it - arrogant tit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            Yeah and we'll laugh our cocks off as you stove it - arrogant tit.
            More likely to do that if there's a f***wit sitting there asleep at 40 or less...

Drive PROPERLY!

Comment

Nah, I'll do what I always do and slow down even more to watch the veins pop on your neck

Word of advice - only you think you are that important - everyone else knows you are a tosser!

...and driving slowly is driving properly actually

Comment

In proper snow, you can't drive fast. You know when you try to overtake on a dual-carriageway and discover only one lane has been gritted... the feeling of trying to do 60 on fresh piste always unnerves me enough to pull back in. If the car won't go in straight line without getting twitchy then it's too fast for me.

But I assume most complaints are about roads with just a tiny amount of slush, not actual proper slow?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

People should drive under 2 conditions :

1. Always within the speed limit
                  2. At the speed in which they feel confident, obeying number 1 above.

Excessive speed is a contributor to many accidents.

By all means hurry to get in an early grave, so long as you don't take anyone else out at the same time.

Hmmm.

Perhaps the law should be changed.

Rule 1. You can speed as much as you like.

Rule 2. If your excessive speed results in the death of an innocent(s), then you must elect which innocent member(s) of your own family are also to die.

Mind you, I think the system would get abused by a few peeps who have always wanted to bump off Auntie Ethel for the inheritance, or Uncle Freddy for the child abuse and this would provide an excuse.

NB : Disclaimer : Auntie Ethel and Uncle Freddy are fictional characters in the context of this post, and bear no resemblance to any actual identifiable person(s) living or dead, or to be born in the future.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I had no idea that C. S. Lewis was an authority on speed limits and safe driving.

Comment

Working...
                    X