• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agile development

Never used it. Never going to get a gig without it on the CV. At least half of the gigs I see listed on Jobserve require it. What can I do?

I know its a buyers market at the mo, but some of the specs are ludicrously picky. Gets me down. Still I'm not alone.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

you obviously haven't been a contractor for long
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      you obviously haven't been a contractor for long
      15 months now. How does this help?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Never used it.
        Yes you have, go back and read different agile methodolgies are - chances are you can say you've done some of it.

Comment

Oi!

I've done years of 'proper' agile development. Don't need any competition from chancers who claim they have used "elements of agile" or whatever...
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Oi!

I've done years of 'proper' agile development. Don't need any competition from chancers who claim they have used "elements of agile" or whatever...
            Oi, I've done years of proper development, don't need any competition from chancers who use a fad like agile to get one over on us.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Never used it. Never going to get a gig without it on the CV. At least half of the gigs I see listed on Jobserve require it. What can I do?

I know its a buyers market at the mo, but some of the specs are ludicrously picky. Gets me down. Still I'm not alone.
              I spent a happy summer 'working' in an office with one of the gurus of Agile Development, he's written several books, and we had long chats about it.

Just don't worry. I've done plenty of gigs where they claim to do Agile development. So do a quick Google and you'll know more than anywhere I've been. Spot bits from previous contracts that look like it and call it 'agile'...

Look, Agile development has at it's core 'self-organising teams'. Ho ho ho. Can you imagine any management buying into that... So, in truth it never really happens in the commercial world.

Like most methodologies the management pick and choose the bits they believe will save money, get more work out of the staff, and generally ignore the parts that will get the job done.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                I spent a happy summer 'working' in an office with one of the gurus of Agile Development, he's written several books, and we had long chats about it.

Just don't worry. I've done plenty of gigs where they claim to do Agile development. So do a quick Google and you'll know more than anywhere I've been. Spot bits from previous contracts that look like it and call it 'agile'...

Look, Agile development has at it's core 'self-organising teams'. Ho ho ho. Can you imagine any management buying into that... So, in truth it never really happens in the commercial world.

Like most methodologies the management pick and choose the bits they believe will save money, get more work out of the staff, and generally ignore the parts that will get the job done.
                WHS

Management/customers love agile because they can change the spec whenever they like, and regular iterations mean they are always 'seen' to be delivering. What they never like about agile is the flip side: technical debt. They always ask "what is the business benefit?", and rarely agree to any refactoring work that's required to prevent the code turning into a POS.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

In my ‘confinement’, I’ve been having a look at this series (Autumn of Agile). He waffles on a lot, but comes up with some interesting ideas that I might put in to practice on a new venture I want to get going after the doctors have finished with me. The thoughts of others on the series would be appreciated.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    In my ‘confinement’, I’ve been having a look at this series (Autumn of Agile). He waffles on a lot, but comes up with some interesting ideas that I might put in to practice on a new venture I want to get going after the doctors have finished with me. The thoughts of others on the series would be appreciated.
                    I wish you a speedy recovery.

Comment

Working...
                    X