• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good place to get PC packaging for returning broken PC via mail ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good place to get PC packaging for returning broken PC via mail ?

My main desktop PC is bust (the fan at the back and therefore the liquid cooling system for the CPU doesn't turn on anymore therefore it overheats and shuts down in like 30 mins), I need to send it back to the manufacturer in Ireland.

Does anyone know of a good online store that provides you with boxes / foam / bubble rapping for desktop PCs ?

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    My main desktop PC is bust (the fan at the back and therefore the liquid cooling system for the CPU doesn't turn on anymore therefore it overheats and shuts down in like 30 mins), I need to send it back to the manufacturer in Ireland.

Does anyone know of a good online store that provides you with boxes / foam / bubble rapping for desktop PCs ?

thanks in advance.
    Is there any reason why the manufacturer can't ship you out the empty boxes? I have had this done before.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Is there any reason why the manufacturer can't ship you out the empty boxes? I have had this done before.
      Well I've mailed them with this question. Lets see what they say. I found one
      internet site i.e. www.computerpackaging.co.uk/ and I've mailed them for a price list but their website isn't that great for actually seeing any of their products.

I dunno really.

Comment

Why don`t you just go down to Maplin, buy a fan and put it in yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
          Why don`t you just go down to Maplin, buy a fan and put it in yourself?
          I agree, it'd probably take about 10 minutes to do it. Ask the vendor in Ireland to send you a new fan?
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The fan would be easy to replace. However, the problem is the liquid cooling system that is sort of attached to the fan and the main CPU, if I mess that up then its the end.

The system is a 20Kg desktop and I desperately need a packaging expert. Please help !

Comment

The fan won`t be "attached" to the cooling system, it`ll just blow air onto a heatsink through which coolant passes.

P.S. Never buy a liquid-cooled computer.

Comment

Try any of the big storage companies such as Lok'n'store, Big yellow, etc. They typically have a small shop onsite that will sell you boxes, bubble wrap and foam chippings.

I had to return two monitors for repair and found a box that would house both of them. I wrapped them a few times in bubble wrap so they were a snug fit and then filled any voids with foam chips. Before shipping I took a couple of photos so I could prove the effort I went to in case of damage.

HTH

Comment

thanks for that advice. I phoned up the manufacturer and they actually did finally get an empty box for me.

Strange thing is now that the rear fan is now starting up again and the liquid cooling is working on the cpu (hot plate and tubes) are now cold and tepid.

I did though help it along a bit i.e. I opened all the windows to freezing cold England and shut down hte central heating and took the PCs side panel off

However that is almost beside the point because the rear fan (connected to the liquid cooling and radioator) was just not starting up before.

I will have to experiement with room temperature etc. i.e. even if the rear fan does work intermitently its no good if its just blowing out hot air from the room (at 19-22 degrees Celcius), that may be the cause of this strange automatic shut down problem due to the CPU getting overheated.

shucks

Comment

There was a woman who sold something on eBay, then needed to package it up for shipping. It occurred to her that it would be handy if one could just get this stuff on eBay, given that one's already on the site when one finds the need to ship something. So she set up an eBay "Buy It Now" store selling packing materials.

I believe she's done very well for herself out of it. More to the point, she sells packing materials at bargain prices, which is probably what you need

Comment

Working...
                    X