• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandelson calls protests 'xenophobic'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandelson calls protests 'xenophobic'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...enophobic.html

Wildcat strikes threaten to escalate after Lord Mandelson calls protests 'xenophobic'
    Wildcat strikes across Britain are threatening to escalate after Lord Mandelson dismissed workers' concerns and claimed the protests may be "xenophobic".

The Business Secretary said that he had concluded there was "clearly no policy of discrimination" at the oil refinery at the centre of the disputes.

However, trade unions insist that British workers are being automatically rejected when applying for work, with firms using an obscure European law to bring their own workforces to carry out work in this country.

Strike action spread on Monday with workers at two nuclear power stations and several other sites joining the unofficial action.

The dispute is also threatening to escalate into a major diplomatic incident. The Italian Government described the strikes as "indefensible". The Governor of Sicily warned that the employment of Britons on the Italian island may be threatened.

The British ambassador in Rome was sent to reassure the Italian Government that Italians would not face discrimination in this country.

The dispute is centred on a £200 million construction project at the Total oil refinery at Lindsey in north Lincolnshire. The contract was awarded to an Italian firm, IREN, which has brought a large number of Italian and Portuguese workers to Britain to complete the work. It is claimed that a British firm was initially awarded the contract but was unable to complete the work.

Lord Mandelson and Gordon Brown have seized on assurances from Total that British workers are not discriminated against. Total has also pledged to work with its contractors to ensure that Britons are employed.

The Business Secretary told the House of Lords: "On the Lindsey site, the great majority of the workers are actually British, so clearly no policy of discrimination or exclusion of British nationals is being operated at the refinery.''

He added: "Membership of the European Union, and taking advantage of the opportunities for trade presented by the EU, are firmly in the UK's national interest. Free movement of labour and the ability to work across the EU has been a condition of membership for decades."

He had earlier rebuked an interviewer asking questions about workers' concerns, saying: "Stop feeding this xenophobia."

However, the comments have been undermined by the managing director of IREN who said that he was forced to only use Italian workers for most of the contract.

Mario Saraceno said that the contract had to be finished within four months. Therefore, he said: "That's why it was absolutely necessary to send to England our specialized workers, a close-knit team that could communicate with each other without language problems, which was particularly important from a safety point of view.

"There was no time for training and so, with the agreement of the British unions, we contracted out the work [to Italians]. But we also took on 30 British workers, among them technicians and labourers."

Strike action spread to nuclear sites and power plants across Britain on Monday. More than 900 workers walked out at Sellafield. The workers, who are liaising via web sites and mobile phone text messages, are thought to be planning a co-ordinated national strike later in the week.

The issue is causing a split at the highest levels of the Labour Party. Alan Johnson, the Health Secretary and former union leader, has called for European directives to be renegotiated if necessary. It is claimed that firms are using loopholes in European law to only hire workers from certain countries. The proposal for the Government to intervene is also backed by senior Labour figures including former ministers Peter Hain and Frank Field.

Ministers are awaiting a formal report from Acas, the independent arbitration service, into the causes of the strike. Trade unions are calling for all contractors working on public infrastructure projects to sign contracts guaranteeing fair access to British workers.

============================================

Plenty of other countries bend the rules to favour their workers : why not us?

I also think it is a disgrace that patriotism is labelled as xenophobia.

Will the sun reading classes finally get tired of the rubbish they are fed?

Zanulab

For all their rhetoric about British jobs for British workers, when it comes to delivery they can do nothing becuase they dont have the power to within the EU.

Mandelson then tries to politically discredit a protest, which based on the governements previous stance(Albeit a soundbyte), they should actually be supporting.

I dont agree with the protest, I support freedom within the EU to work and realise its a 2 way street with pros and cons.

What kills me is that slimy Mandelson, and his snotty lacky turning their backs on the very people all their rhetoric was aimed at.

I think that these people will not forget the expediency exercised by the government when it comes to the ballot box.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      [url]I also think it is a disgrace that patriotism is labelled as xenophobia.

Will the sun reading classes finally get tired of the rubbish they are fed?
      Actually, kind of agree - I think there's elements of xenophobia (One way of describing it) in the walkouts. Though mainly I assume it's just foreign workers driving wages down, which I can understand people objecting too. However from a neutral perspective it helps us bring costs down and British exports etc. Thing is, if they don't we become uncompetitive and the jobs leave the country anyway.

I am unpatriotic because I'd prefer to use a polish builder, who's cheaper, works harder and does a better job than the fat lazy British one that's been overcharging us for years?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Don't have a great problem with the old EU either (Bulgaria, Romania and so on are a different kettle of fish) as it is in practice as well as law a reciprocal arrangement.

If these protests turn into a general one against excessive immigration and unfettered globalisation where trade, as with China, is so completely one way and to our clear long term disadvantage I would not mind a bit.

These things have long term effects which nobody will grasp. Variations in supply and demand and availability of skills are normal, it is the demands that drive the solutions, young people want to enter industries where there are jobs and high wages. If, every time a company is short the odd worker for a few weeks, it can fill it with immigrant labour or send it offshore then it kills their interest. When there are British workers available, as during a recession, the jobs are no longer open because the migrants do not go home and it is the foreign companies who now have all the expertise.

Globalisation, when there is mutual advantages in the trade and highly skilled immigration to temporarily meet genuine long term shortages can be good, it is when they turn into mantras and are enforced in every circumstance they become idiotic.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 3 February 2009, 10:11.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
          For all their rhetoric about British jobs for British workers, when it comes to delivery they can do nothing becuase they dont have the power to within the EU.
          The European Posted Workers directive was set up to ensure that people posted to another EU country could not undercut local labour agreements, thus creating a so-called 'level playing field'. The British government refused to implement it, perhaps to protect British workers who work in other EU countries and want to compete by working long hours after the locals have gone home.

SO the blame lies with the British government who preferred to look big and tough by opting out of an agreement which might have prevented this mess.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Look at all the xenophoic groups that have been created on facebook in the last few days. These are obviously manipulated by BNP/UKIP.

How long before they are xcalling for the invasion of France to recover Britanny (used to belong to us remember....)

Comment

I don't recall anyone being overly concerned when IT was being outsourced and fast-tracked in from non-EU countries. Divided we stand and divided we fall.

Comment

The word on the street is that it isn't as easy to get jobs on mainland europe as it is for them to get jobs here. They exercise more discrimination.

European construction workers come here for the higher wages (we are the best payers) or because there's no work in their countries. So if British workers 'get on their bike', they will either earn less in Europe plus have higher overheads for subsistence and travel, or have nowhere to go anyway.

Besides, why force your own people to travel abroad for work? They might like living in their own country and watching their kids grow up.

There's something wrong with this situation but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I don't recall anyone being overly concerned when IT was being outsourced and fast-tracked in from non-EU countries. Divided we stand and divided we fall.
                  Maybe now is a good time to get this raised?

I wonder if the PCG are doing anything on this?

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post
                    Look at all the xenophoic groups that have been created on facebook in the last few days. These are obviously manipulated by BNP/UKIP.

How long before they are xcalling for the invasion of France to recover Britanny (used to belong to us remember....)
                    That's shallow. I think you'll find plenty feeling among workers that we get a raw deal from the EU that has nothing to do with BNP/UKIP.

Comment

Working...
                    X