• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow in the UK

Well we didn't get any here, in fact this morning its quite pleasant. I do like this comment though:

More interestingly, perhaps, Camden said ploughs were not viable as they could not negotiate speed bumps.
    You'll notice that on German roads there are also no cats eyes as snow ploughs would rip them up.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well we didn't get any here, in fact this morning its quite pleasant. I do like this comment though:

More interestingly, perhaps, Camden said ploughs were not viable as they could not negotiate speed bumps.
    Possibly that means that speed bumps are a bad idea. Or that nobody planned for snow falling. Or that nobody administering Britain plans for very much.

Still, it is Camden: the place that locked children out of snow-covered parks on health and safety grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Possibly that means that speed bumps are a bad idea. Or that nobody planned for snow falling. Or that nobody administering Britain plans for very much.
      What is the point of having infrastructure in place for something that happens once every 10 years or so?

Everybody complains that this used to happen all the time in the '60s, well it doesn't now and it's not worth paying for.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You'll notice that on German roads there are also no cats eyes as snow ploughs would rip them up.
        So that's the reason. A choice between being able to see the road really clearly and being able to drive on it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          What is the point of having infrastructure in place for something that happens once every 10 years or so?

Everybody complains that this used to happen all the time in the '60s, well it doesn't now and it's not worth paying for.
          WHS
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Agreed. I have a friend who lives at the end of a one horse lane who has been moaning that they 'didn't grit his road'.

The government should just declare a 'snow day' and everyone should just stay at home on the basis that it will all be gone in a day or so anyway.

All the hysteria was just because the Cockneys got a bit snowed on which the London-centric media luvvies took to mean climate apocalypse.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I live in Camden, and there are LOT of roads with thosesquare shaped speed bumps across the roads. Hardly any of the roads were gritted let along snow ploughed!

Comment

I always wondered why there are no cats eyes in CH - makes sense now. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

And to all you northerners and Scots who take the p1ss out of southerners because you are used to snow.

Well, we don't take the p1ss out of northern fair-skinned types for catching nasty skin conditions when they get the occasional bit of hot sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    And to all you northerners and Scots who take the p1ss out of southerners because you are used to snow.

Well, we don't take the p1ss out of northern fair-skinned types for catching nasty skin conditions when they get the occasional bit of hot sunshine.
                    I recall, a long long time ago - back in my London days , I once had the pleasure of entertaining a certain very attractive Italian girl from Milan.

Over the course of time we ended up in bed - she was always fascinated by just how white my Scottish milk-bottle white untanned body was - she could never stop commenting on this - anybody else from a non-Solar background had this odd experience ?

Comment

Working...
                    X