• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pronunciation of Total

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronunciation of Total

Minor gripe but is it just me who gets annoyed when every BBC report on the strikers says the company name is Totaaaal because it ez French owned.

Why can't they say Total properly. Will every firm in the news now be checked for it's ownership and pronounced in an accent suitable for the owning country ?

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
    Minor gripe but is it just me who gets annoyed when every BBC report on the strikers says the company name is Totaaaal because it ez French owned.

Why can't they say Total properly. Will every firm in the news now be checked for it's ownership and pronounced in an accent suitable for the owning country ?
    WHS++;

Also, "Monsieur Saaaarkoooooozeeeeee" is another one that gets on my tits!

If you're French then fine but otherwise it's rather pretentious, n'est-ce pas?

The old "Milky Bar" adverts used to pronounce "Nestlé's" as Nessels, now they've gone all la di da Gunner Graham and it's NestLay!!!
    Last edited by Churchill; 3 February 2009, 10:38.

Comment

and I've just seen...

EO's post SQL Problem from earlier today.

It's not just me then.

Comment

Quite right Unicorn - My pet hates:

Morgan Tsvangirai pronounced CHANGARI - Its spelt T-S-V-A etc because it is a bl**dy African name (probably Zulu) that cannot be directly translated to English - So it is "translated/approximated" phonetically.....

Beijing - We have called it bl**dy Peking for 100s of years because we Brits can't get our heads round the million and one "ch" type sounds used by the Chinese. No one trys to pronounce other foreign places in "foreign" (well except pretentious w*nkers)

Paris is Paris not Paree

Munich, Rome, etc etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post

Morgan Tsvangirai pronounced CHANGARI - Its spelt T-S-V-A etc because it is a bl**dy African name (probably Zulu) that cannot be directly translated to English - So it is "translated/approximated" phonetically.....

Beijing - We have called it bl**dy Peking for 100s of years because we Brits can't get our heads round the million and one "ch" type sounds used by the Chinese. No one trys to pronounce other foreign places in "foreign" (well except pretentious winkers)

Paris is Paris not Paree

How would you pronounce "Lieutenant"?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Sir (assuming you're a lower rank)

Comment

left tennant.

'orrible stuff

Comment

I would pronounce it "Leftenant"........... Why?

Comment

I would pronounce it "Leftenant"........... Why?
                  Why when it isn't spelt that way?

(You do see where I'm going with this, don't you?)

Originally posted by Drewster

Comment

Beijing - We have called it bl**dy Peking for 100s of years because we Brits can't get our heads round the million and one "ch" type sounds used by the Chinese. No one trys to pronounce other foreign places in "foreign" (well except pretentious winkers)

Paris is Paris not Paree

It all started with that bloody newsreader on the Big Breakfast (Phil somebody) saying "Newcassel" instead of "Newcarsel". It just caught on amongst journalist types.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X