• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squatter’s rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squatter’s rights

Is there any good reason that a tenant who claims 100% housing benefit should have the money paid to them rather than the landlord who provides the said housing? My stepfather has a BTL with a tenant who hasn’t paid a penny in rent for 12 months, I can’t believe he’s let it go on this long.

They're facing financial ruin and there’s sod all they can do other than to start court proceedings which will cost them more money with no certain outcome, the law is an ass.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Is there any good reason that a tenant who claims 100% housing benefit should have the money paid to them rather than the landlord who provides the said housing? My stepfather has a BTL with a tenant who hasn’t paid a penny in rent for 12 months, I can’t believe he’s let it go on this long.

They're facing financial ruin and there’s sod all they can do other than to start court proceedings which will cost them more money with no certain outcome, the law is an ass.
    24 hours in a van outside, as soon as they leave, change the locks.

HTH
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post

HTH
      The police can arrest you for doing that.

While I am sure there are good reason for squatter's rights 90% they are abused.

Comment

There is a clear route for getting people out of your house. The maximum time it can take is 6 weeks. With a very definite result at the end. Even if they do claim squatter's rights etc.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
          There is a clear route for getting people out of your house. The maximum time it can take is 6 weeks. With a very definite result at the end. Even if they do claim squatter's rights etc.
          And it is possible to get them out sooner - If you "Ask them politely"..... well if you get 3-4 very large ugly blokes to "Ask them politely".....

disclaimer: I am not advocating nor recommending "politeness" as a solution to any legal issues experienced. Any use of "politeness" is carried out at your own risk.

Comment

I know someone who let himself into his own flat when the tennant had not paid up in 4 months and the police were called.

Ended up getting a restraining order put against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post

HTH
              "24 hours in a van outside, change locks, move in and claim squatters rights yourself! - them move out after a couple of weeks and hand house back to Stepdad.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

The joys of BTL.

All this hassle for a depreciating asset.

He should have sold up a couple of years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...e-in-2003.html

Comment

But what about my first question:

Is there any good reason that a tenant who claims 100% housing benefit should have the money paid to them rather than direct to the landlord?

I can’t think of any reason whatsoever??

Back in the 80’s my real dad used to own a block of 7 flats and he deliberately filled them with people on housing benefit as the DSS paid top whack and paid on time, why are tenants now allowed to redirect money that isn’t intended for them?
                  Last edited by gingerjedi; 3 February 2009, 11:20.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    But what about my first question:

Is there any good reason that a tenant who claims 100% housing benefit should have the money paid to them rather than direct to the landlord?

I can’t think of any reason whatsoever??

Back in the 80’s my real dad used to own a block of 7 flats and he deliberately filled them with people on housing benefit as the DSS paid top whack on paid on time, why are tenants now allowed to redirect money that isn’t intended for them?

All in the name of "fairness".

Comment

Working...
                    X