• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If Globalistion is so great, why....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Globalistion is so great, why....

...has Saint Obama ratified protectionist policies?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7866308.stm

The EU and Canada have warned that a clause in the US economic recovery package could promote protectionism.

The "Buy American" clause seeks to ensure that only US iron, steel and manufactured goods are used in construction work funded by the bill.

The EU ambassador in Washington said that if approved, the measure would set a "dangerous precedent".

The $800bn (£567bn) rescue plan package is under discussion in the US Senate this week.

I thought the only "good thing" is to source the cheapest workers, cheapest materials and cheapest services from around the globe. Isn't this what Globalisation calls for?

Or perhaps Globalisation has led to the downfall of developed countries economies?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The "Buy American" clause seeks to ensure that only US iron, steel and manufactured goods are used in construction work funded by the bill.
    This is good. In few years time, there’ll be loads of work for the rest of the world repairing all the crap the Americans have made.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Obama is the new svengali. How dare anyone criticise him.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Anyone got a tank they feel inclined to drive across Poland?
        Oh dear that made me

I don't dare write LOL or ROFL these days since they appear to have been hijacked by the l337sp34k1n6 plebs as a punctuation replacement.

Comment

Globalisation in its modern sense isn't great, in the long run it benefits nobody but shareholders.

Cheap jeans from China and out of season veg from Africa doesn't wash with me, I'd rather pay the going price for local produce and keep my local economy alive.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Globalisation in its modern sense isn't great, in the long run it benefits nobody but shareholders.

Cheap jeans from China and out of season veg from Africa doesn't wash with me, I'd rather pay the going price for local produce and keep my local economy alive.
            Where would the cotton come from to produce your local supplier’s jeans?

Comment

Let us just remember who it is that is enabling Globalisation, and those who have grown fat and rich from it. It is those people who can develop the technology for messaging systems, broadband and those who build the applications that exploit this technology. Now who could that be??????

Thanks to "these people" we will become a much more homogonised society, with a Tesco on every street corner from Delhi to Ferrybridge, a single world language (English), a single world currency (Sterling of course) etc etc.

This will leave those who do not want to be part of globalisation the option to live in North Korea.

As long as I get my cut then I dont give a s**t
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Where would the cotton come from to produce your local supplier’s jeans?
                Like I said in its modern sense i.e. 'No holds barred, runaway free market at any cost sense'.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade but it's got to the point where the consumer loses more than they gain IMO.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think the only way to stop globalisation is to un-invent the ship, the train, the aeroplane, the car, the telegraph cable, the fibre-optic cable, the satellite and of course t’internet. It ain’t going to happen, so we may as well make the best of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    I think the only way to stop globalisation is to un-invent the ship, the train, the aeroplane, the car, the telegraph cable, the fibre-optic cable, the satellite and of course t’internet. It ain’t going to happen, so we may as well make the best of it.
                    Agreed as I suggested here

Comment

Working...
                    X