• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye bye British pound??? Adios Sterlina...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye British pound??? Adios Sterlina...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/09020..._britain_forex

MADRID (AFP) - There is a "very high" chance that Britain will join the euro single currency in the future, European Union Economic and Monetary Policy Affairs Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said Monday in Spain.
    ADVERTISEMENT

He added that it was also possible that other EU nations like Denmark and Sweden would join the euro zone, without giving an estimated timeline, and said there was "little chance" that any nation will abandon the single currency.

"The possibility that EU member states which are not currently part of the euro zone could meet the conditions to join are very high," he told a business lunch.

His comments come at a time when some economists have raised the prospect that some of the 16 nations which currently use the euro may be pushed to abandon the currency to deal with severe economic contractions.

Dropping the euro would allow nations to once again devalue their own national currency to boost exports but Almunia warned earlier in an interview with Spanish radio that the cost of making this move would be so high that no nation would do it.

The British currency has plunged by some 20 percent against the euro in recent months, prompting a renewed debate over Britain adopting the European single currency.

A majority of Britons, 71 percent, are against Britain joining the euro, according to a recent poll of 1,000 people between December 19 and 21.

Almunia also said the idea of setting up state-sponsored "bad banks" that buy banks' impaired assets and thereby encourage them to start lending again would be discussed at the next Group of 20 meeting in London.

Sweden had successfully used a so-called "bad bank" to refloat its financial system after it was crushed by bad debt in the 1990s, he said.

"I think an effective solution would be to find a way to give banks confidence in what their peers have on their balance sheets. We are now talking about bad banks, about taking impaired assets off banks' books," he said.

An economic recovery could start at the end of 2009 or early 2010 if all goes well, Almunia added.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

There is a "very high" chance that Britain will join the euro single currency in the future, European Union Economic and Monetary Policy Affairs Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said
    An unbiased source, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      There is a "very high" chance that Britain will join the euro single currency in the future
      No tulip ! What amazing insight. The future is a long time

There is a "very high" chance that there will be a single world currency in the future
      You can quote ME on that sometime in the next million years.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        An unbiased source, then?
        Indeed.....I have to clear the coffee off my screen now and sew up my sides which have split all over the place.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I laughed so much on reading the first sentence that I could not read any more !!! What utter rubbish.

Comment

Working...
          X