• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Level of Honesty in Security Clearance forms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level of Honesty in Security Clearance forms

Hello,

Was wondering if I could solicit an opinion from anyone out there who has security clearance.

I've just gotten a contract requiring SC (which I don't have). I've just filled out the form and sent it back to my agent. In the form, there is a section asking for full and unconditional disclosure of past criminal activity which I filled in and sealed in a signed envelope as required. My agent opened this signed envelope (saying that they work with the SC vetting agents to help alleviate the workload and they're authorised to view this information - fine, I believe her), but then made measured comments about my disclosures, saying "well, it should be okay, but we'll just have to submit the application and see ..."

Sorry for the long-winded description, but my question is for those who have security clearance, in your opinion, do you think my declaration of:

a) a shoplifting conviction in Canada in 1984 (!!) - $200 fine
    b) a formal caution *only* by Sommerset police in 2004 who confiscated certain "substances" found in my car (after I voluntarily disclosed them) on my way to Glastonbury

would have an adverse affect on the vetting process? The Sommerset caution would not even be on record now (was told it lasted 12 months only)! Nor would the shoplifting conviction.

I only ask as the agent who was quite chirpy and cheery up till now sounded quite guarded and "formal". I didn't even think she'd read the sealed envelope! And I honestly thought disclosing *everything* was a sign of honesty and trust - and that there are intelligent humans doing the vetting process which can put events into perspective.

Just curious as to what anyone else thinks.

Cheers

The shoplifting may be what keeps you from getting it.....but equally it was in 1984!

Comment

I'm not convinced that the Agent should have opened the sealed section, that bit is specifically for the DVA to look at and judge according to their guidelines. I realise that this isn't the question you asked, but I'm a little concerned by it.
      For that matter the whole damn form is subject to strict Data Protection rules, I can't see why an Agent would have anything to do with the damn thing without your express permission, it should have been sent unopened to the Security Office of the ListX company or Ministry and then on to the DVA.

What I believe are called "spent" convictions will probably not make a huge difference, for that matter your full and frank disclosure will probably do your application far more good than harm as if they had turned up these items and you hadn't put them on the form it would have been pretty much an automatic rejection.

Comment

Listen -

No other person should have access to a completed SC form unless that person is the security officer of the end client. If this was not the person you handed it too... well keep an eye on your credit record in the coming months.

Regarding your concerns, it's honesty there looking for. You could be tax dodging murderer as long as you don't try and hide it. Ok maybe not but you get the drift.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by djw View Post
          In the form, there is a section asking for full and unconditional disclosure of past criminal activity which I filled in and sealed in a signed envelope as required. My agent opened this signed envelope (saying that they work with the SC vetting agents to help alleviate the workload and they're authorised to view this information - fine, I believe her)
          Bollocks.

Some larger agencies have their own security bod who arranges the clearance with the DVA. They do NOT have access to the police files, court records, Special Branch records etc. that DVA can (probably ) access.

That is totally out of order. I would be inclined to complain to the client.

but then made measured comments about my disclosures, saying "well, it should be okay, but we'll just have to submit the application and see ..."
          Complain. The implication here is that you are sort of being advised to withhold information. I would now worry whether that part of the form will be submitted by the agent.

do you think my declaration of:
          <stuff>
          would have an adverse affect on the vetting process?
          Failure to disclose *everything* can result in a delayed process, more forms to fill in or being turned down. And when clearance is turned down, you do not get told why.

I bet that agent is now cacking themselves. I also bet the role "goes away".

Edit: I also bet the role "goes away", not because the DVA turn you down, but because the agent will 'lose' the form and never get back to you to cover up their cock-up.
          Last edited by BrowneIssue; 3 February 2009, 18:31. Reason: Clarification
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

) a shoplifting conviction in Canada in 1984 (!!) - $200 fine
            b) a formal caution *only* by Sommerset police in 2004 who confiscated certain "substances" found in my car (after I voluntarily disclosed them) on my way to Glastonbury

would have an adverse affect on the vetting process?
            So basically, robbing shops and substance abuse ?

It may count against you if you are going to work in a Pharma or a Retail outlet, as they will rightfully assume you are well dodgy.

OTOH, if the job is in Parliament, you should be ok, since these are probably not seen as "convictions" but more "entry requirements".
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It really is down to your hiring manager.

I worked beside someone in the police that had a previous assault charge. Know a teacher that has 4 BoP charges.

Comment

OTOH, if the job is in Parliament, you should be ok, since these are probably not seen as "convictions" but more "entry requirements".

To the poster - your wee 'sins' are very trivial indeed - I wouldnt bother to declare them on those grounds - its ultimately your hiring manager who makes the decision anyway.

Repent and Sin no more (unless there is nobody looking) ...
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 February 2009, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  It really is down to your hiring manager.

I worked beside someone in the police that had a previous assault charge. Know a teacher that has 4 BoP charges.
                  No it's not, SC clearance is granted (or refused) by the Defence Vetting Agency, the information on the form is confidential and nothing to do with the Client or Employment Agency.

Teachers don't generally have access to material marked as Secret or even Confidential according to UK Security requirements so they aren't subject to the same checks.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    No it's not, SC clearance is granted (or refused) by the Defence Vetting Agency, the information on the form is confidential and nothing to do with the Client or Employment Agency.

Teachers don't generally have access to material marked as Secret or even Confidential according to UK Security requirements so they aren't subject to the same checks.

i agree. the info is strictly confidential and it seems that someone has not respected that.

Comment

Working...
                    X