• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London - Travel recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London - Travel recommendations

I have managed to avoid taking projects in London for the better part of the past 15 years, as such I'm totally unfamiliar with the Underground, zones? ticketing etc. Obviously I don't have an Oyster Card or any kind of London travelcard passes.
    A very interesting meeting has come up that I need to attend pretty close to Westminster so I need to get up to speed fairly quickly and am looking to pick the brains of you that have suffered the City more recently than myself.

Just to make things extra nice the meeting will finish at roughly 17:30 on a weekday.....

Option 1:

Train from Leeds to Kings Cross and back, cost is pretty absurd £70+ and Leeds parking to add. What am I likely to have to pay for Underground travel to Westminster from Kings Cross for a one off return trip and approx how long is that likely to take?

Option 2:

Drive from Halifax to some rail/underground station off the M1 (£40ish in fuel), park, take train/underground in. I have done this in the distant past, but I'm damned if I can remember where I parked and the Congestion charge nonesense didn't exist then either.
    Looking for recommended station reasonably close to the M1 where parking is sensibly available, suggestions please.
    From suggested station rough idea of how long it would take to Westminster underground and how much the return tickets are likely to cost and for that matter how they work with zones and the likes.

Cheers

Try this
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You need Santa's Sleigh mate
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Try this
        Thanks, but navigation isn't an issue.

I'm more interested in a potted explanation of the Underground ticketing system and real world experienced advice on potential places to target to park off the M1 to use the public transport system from there.

Comment

The underground is mapped out in zones, from 1 (Central London) to 6 then A, B, C etc. You can buy a one-day travelcard or simply (possibly cheapest option) get a pay & go Oyster card, although that takes a few days to set up if you don't have access to a TFL station. Mate of mine parks in Welwyn Garden City (ample parking) and gets train directly into Kings X with the commuters, with a WGC to London Zone 1 return, which should suit your purposes nicely. If you expect to travel around a bit get a travelcard.

Comment

Favourite must be Stanmore station. It is 5 minutes off the M1 at Edgware, and is the northern terminus of the London Underground Jubilee line which takes you directly to Westminster station.

Comment

Drive to junction 4 of m1. Get off and park at stanmore tube station (about 400 parking places)

Pakring is 3.60 for the day.

Get tube to westminster (direct on jubilee line, 40 mins) cost 4 quid.

Get same tube back the other way (another 4 quid)

total cost, petrol + £11.60 for tube and parking.

Easy.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                Drive to junction 4 of m1. Get off and park at stanmore tube station (about 400 parking places)

Pakring is 3.60 for the day.

Get tube to westminster (direct on jubilee line, 40 mins) cost 4 quid.

Get same tube back the other way (another 4 quid)

total cost, petrol + £11.60 for tube and parking.

Easy.
                Blimey a useful and informative post. This forum is not what it used to be
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks RH, parking off the A1 is of course practical too so I'll take a look at WGC as an option, does your mate park at the Station?

I'm a good 200 miles from a TfL location so the Oyster Card PAYG option isn't viable I'm afraid as I'll need it on the day of the meeting.

Thanks Doggy and Pickle Stanmore looks to be pretty practical.

The 4 quid ticket is that an ordinary ticket machine type thing or some weird travelcard needing to queue at an office etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

The 4 quid ticket is that an ordinary ticket machine type thing or some weird travelcard needing to queue at an office etc.
                    4 quid is the standard on the day cash fare for any single tube journey (zones 1-6). You can get one just by stuffing 4 pound coins into the ticket machine.
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                    X