• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoring as seen from the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshoring as seen from the US

On the Computer Professional and Freelancer Roundtable:
    IBM has started new program, "Project Match" to help displaced American and Canadian workers relocate to India, Brazil, et al.
    "workers will be paid according to prevailing norms in the countries to which they relocate. In many cases, that could be substantially less than what they earned in North America."

Let me see if I understand what's happening.

There aren't enough North Americans qualified to do the job, so IBM is moving the work to a place where there are plenty of qualified workers. But there aren't enough qualified workers there, so IBM has to recruit those people they just laid off for being unqualified.

"There aren't enough North Americans qualified to do the job" : I think there are but they want to get the work done cheaper.

Maybe I should move to Mumbai? Cost of living is cheaper and bet I could buy a much better place than I currently have for the same money. More importantly I bet there are no chavs over there.....

Comment

Working...
    X