• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kissee kissee yech!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kissee kissee yech!

Why is it that at the end of a social evening you are expected to hug people you scarcely know, like relatives of friends or friends of relatives? If you are related you are even expected to clasp the same sex!

I am willing to make the odd exception, like with my brother who lives in the US and is much older than me and whom I perhaps may never see again (and even then we made a big joke of it in the proper manly British manner!) but generally I hate physical contact unless it's a prelude to a shag.

Am I the only one who hates all this social kissy kissy huggy huggy stuff? IT ISN'T BRITISH!

PS Ghastly over-emotional foreign sorts like Francko are not allowed to give an opinion.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

"Ghastly over-emotional foreign sorts like Francko are not allowed to give an opinion."

How about expats then?

You'd love it here in Belgium Xog, where being invited to a dinner party can mean having to kiss half a dozen strangers, both when you arrive and when you leave, and thats just the women. Yep some of the (younger) men seem to go in for this sort of things as well.

Perhaps you'd feel better about if everyone was more squishy like the slugs...

Comment

Hugging is a symbol of universal love and trust. I say more hugs and less vitriol
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Actually I've got to quite like the kissy kissy since I've been here. I've had the chance to place my somewhat dribbling mouth on lots of nice looking women who probably wouldn't have let me near them with a barge pole back in the UK.

(Unfortunately I've also had to work my way through lots of 'close my eyes and think of England' attempts at air kissing to get to the few nice ones... )

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          Why is it that at the end of a social evening you are expected to hug people you scarcely know, like relatives of friends or friends of relatives? If you are related you are even expected to clasp the same sex!

I am willing to make the odd exception, like with my brother who lives in the US and is much older than me and whom I perhaps may never see again (and even then we made a big joke of it in the proper manly British manner!) but generally I hate physical contact unless it's a prelude to a shag.

Am I the only one who hates all this social kissy kissy huggy huggy stuff? IT ISN'T BRITISH!

PS Ghastly over-emotional foreign sorts like Francko are not allowed to give an opinion.
          To make matters worse one often doesn't know whether to go for a peck on just one cheek or a Godfather style kiss on both cheeks - The other month I got in a muddle over this with someone and we ended up nosing like a couple of eskimos! Bloody ridiculous.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 2 October 2005, 19:13.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
            You'd love it here in Belgium Xog, where being invited to a dinner party can mean having to kiss half a dozen strangers, both when you arrive and when you leave, and thats just the women. Yep some of the (younger) men seem to go in for this sort of things as well.
            In the last couple of days in London, in different places, I've seen two guys with trousers literally almost down to the top of their thighs at the back, showing their underpants, no exaggeration.

Unless I happen to have seen two weirdos, there's some bizarre new fashion brewing for ultra low-slung trousers, at the back anyway. In fact I seriously wonder how these oddbods I saw managed to keep their trousers up at all.
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 2 October 2005, 17:12.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And what is this strange female fashion of having tops of dresses that sort of stick straight up? Saw one reather large young female on her way to a club last week looked like the wall in the remake of King Kong.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Men should never kiss. Close relatives should be greeted with a firm handshake, and perhaps close friends with a brief slap on the shoulder. Women, however, should kiss other women as it's damned good fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
                  Women, however, should kiss other women as it's damned good fun to watch.
                  Unless it's Ruth Kelly.

Comment

I like Ruth Kelly
                    I really really really like her.
                    She gives me a nardon whenever I see her.
                    mmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                    X