• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toy pigs must go at council

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 1, 2005

Novelty pig calendars and toys have been banned by bosses at Dudley Council in case Muslim staff are offended.

Workers in the council's benefits department have been told to remove or cover up all pig products including toys, porcelain, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

It comes after a Muslim worker said they were offended by pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the authority.

Muslims are forbidden from eating pork in the Koran and staff were asked to remove the items.

The partner of one of the members of staff in the Ednam Road department, who did not want to be named, said: "It's caused a bit of an atmosphere in the office. The staff did comply but it's just crazy - things like ornaments that have been on desks for years have had to be removed."

Head of finance at the council Mike Williams, who is responsible for the department, said the member of staff said they were offended by the products in the run up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

He said a decision will be taken after the festival ends about whether the items are allowed back.

Asked what reason the member of staff gave in making the request for their removal, he said it "did not matter why it was considered offensive".

He acknowledged that some members of the department had seen it as "political correctness gone barmy".

Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practicing Muslim, said he agreed with the action taken.

"If it is a request made by an individual and other officers can reason a comprimise it is a good thing, it is a tolerance and acceptance of their beliefs and understanding," he said.

"But if it were a blanket ban I don't know how it would benefit the whole issue of working together."

----

Surely there are laws separating Church and Govt?

Originally posted by AtW
    Surely there are laws separating Church and Govt?
    You're thinking of the wrong country, AtW. In the UK we have a state religion of which the monarch is the titular head.

However, given that "asked what reason the member of staff gave in making the request for their removal, he said it 'did not matter why it was considered offensive'" I would encourage all the non-muslim staff to start finding all sorts of things offensive given that it doesn't matter why it's considered offensive. Crescent moons, copies of the Koran, desk fans, whatever.

Comment

Is this real? After my comment last week on a similar news story that this was probably not genuine Muslim opinion but just some PC twat being idiotic proved so wrong, I geuss it may be.

This is TOLERANCE? That an incoming minority that nobody ever wanted here should dictate to others in their own country what is and what is not admissable?

The complainant should be told to bog off back to whatever tulipe backward place he or his family came from. When did the British ever become so f* spineless in not standing up for our own beliefs and our own principles in our own bloody country?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Is this real? After my comment last week on a similar news story that this was probably not genuine Muslim opinion but just some PC twat being idiotic proved so wrong, I geuss it may be.

This is TOLERANCE? That an incoming minority that nobody ever wanted here should dictate to others in their own country what is and what is not admissable?

The complainant should be told to bog off back to whatever tulipe backward place he or his family came from. When did the British ever become so f* spineless in not standing up for our own beliefs and our own principles in our own bloody country?
        Xog, I think the answer to your question as to whether this is just some PC twat is summed up by: "Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practicing Muslim, said he agreed with the action taken."

Comment

I wonder what would have happened if a Jewish person had complained ?

Personally I think he would have been told to **** off and stop wasting everyones time.

Comment

This is taking things way too far !!

Multi culture in the UK should be just that

Not.... ooo no misses you can't do that because it upsets the "Place the culture here"

Muslims believe that their religion will take over the world - I get the feeling that this. In time the way they seem to be able to get what they want whenever they want will happen.

To this… How long will it be before Native British will be the minority ?
            Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Why pigs

What is it that pigs have done as to be so offensive to Muslims (and the jewish). Pesonally they are one of the few animals I like (because you can eat them when you tire of them) but fail to see how even a pig shaped object or a picture of a pig can cause so much offense.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

AFAIK dogs don't rank high in Koran either.

Comment

I think you're correct AtW. Why don't they all just replace the piggy objects on their desks with doggy objects and see what happens.

Comment

You can just see the headline ...

Pigs removewd from City farm

Great news for little Ali - He can now go to the city farm and see the cows. Poor Billy who is now 12 has never seen a real pig. Billy is hoping to go to France before he is 18 to see one.

Tut tut
                    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Working...
                    X