• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't we talk and write like we used to ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't we talk and write like we used to ?

If one has ever had the opportunity to bear witness to such televisual delights as any of the Dickensian adaptions, then one will be most acquainted with the manner in which the actors elocute their sentiments.

Does it not seem that we have misplaced the art of verbose, with all its colourful invocations and adopted a slothful approach to communication with the use of prose ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Does it not seem that we have misplaced the art of verbose, with all its colourful invocations and adopted a slothful approach to communication with the use of prose ?
    Nope.

Comment

If one has ever had the opportunity to bear witness to such televisual delights as any of the Dickensian adaptions, then one will be most acquainted with the manner in which the actors elocute their sentiments.

WHS

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Consider thus :

One is about to be relieved of one's valuables and keepsakes from a street ruffian. The villein indolenty demands, "Hail Sir. It is my intention to violently appropriate your personal possessions that you carry about yourself. If you do not acquiesce, then I shall be left with no alternative but to visit my discontent upon your personage with this carving instrument I have in my possession ?"

I mean, if you are going to get mugged at knife point in modern day, wouldn't it be nice if at least it could be done with some intelligence and good humour, by well-spoken thugs, as opposed to the louts we get today ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

If one has ever had the opportunity to bear witness to such televisual delights as any of the Dickensian adaptions....
            or even to read them.

oliver twist and bleak house are my favourites.

twist is not as verbose as you might expect. in fact, it is a rattling good read.
            Last edited by DS23; 4 February 2009, 16:57. Reason: ,

Comment

I agree, that’s why I enjoy reading 19th Century literature, its nice to escape into a long sentence after a hard day at work
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Aye, right ye are.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

If you do not acquiesce, then I shall be left with no alternative but to visit my discontent upon your personage with this carving instrument I have in my possession ?"
                  ass

That's betterer!!
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

’T is a matter of much discombobulation in the Tester household that many candidates for the hounour of conversing with the Lord and Lady of the manor speak in apparently barbaric tongues. One notes the interminable rise of the ‘chavve’ with considerable disgust. Sporting gear is to be worn whilst participating in sporting events. This does not imply that one should wear the shirt of one’s favourite association football team whilst imbibing strong lager and shouting impertinent remarks at local peelers.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X