• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor ethics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor ethics

From "diary of a first-time contractor" on the CUK news page:

It’s the Saturday before the start of my first contract. Although I now work for myself, I intend to adopt the same work ethics I had when I was someone else’s employee; as far as the first day, that means arriving on time and appropriately smart.
    now, call me old fashioned but I believe there's more to business ethics than mere punctuality and selecting a tie without any cartoon characters on it.

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    now, call me old fashioned but I believe there's more to business ethics than mere punctuality and selecting a tie without any cartoon characters on it.
    Don't worry, as a "first time contractor" they are under the impression that they need to demonstrate that their "inferior" mode of working means that they have to impress more in order to seem "as good" as permie employees.

They'll soon have that beaten out of them.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a tasteful cartoon character

Comment

Firstly. Contractor Ethics is surely an oxymoron!

Secondly. Aha! The last time we had one of these was Niall of Nedprod fame.

http://www.nedprod.com/

Forgotten about him. Now 31 and still a hopeless closet case.

Here's hoping our new 'newbie' doesnt suffer the same fate!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Day one: Turned up and the client was the usual disorganised shower of .... Played minesweeper for a few hours and then went home. That was the easiest £500 ever. Ker-ching!

Comment

I usually wear an eye patch for the first day of a new gig - just to try out the permies reactions (they usually are terrified to look at or even mention it). When I'm unbenched I might up the ante and go for a pair of false breasts under my shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              I usually wear an eye patch for the first day of a new gig - just to try out the permies reactions (they usually are terrified to look at or even mention it). When I'm unbenched I might up the ante and go for a pair of false breasts under my shirt.
              You don't pretend to be the girl from accounts as well do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                You don't pretend to be the girl from accounts as well do you?
                Ssh... don't let on... I'm getting a free supply of hobnobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Day one: Turned up and the client was the usual disorganised shower of .... Played minesweeper for a few hours and then went home. That was the easiest £500 ever. Ker-ching!
                  You were on your first day and you had a computer?!!!

Back in my day I remember starting contracts without a desk. How we dreamed of playing minesweeper; we had to sit in the pub.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    You were on your first day and you had a computer?!!!

Back in my day I remember starting contracts without a desk. How we dreamed of playing minesweeper; we had to sit in the pub.
                    A pub? We were lucky if we had a field to sit in and drink our meths.

Comment

Working...
                    X