• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Queen "might be racist"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Queen "might be racist"

I felt physically sick when someone sent me this article, I feel the Royal Family no longer represents the multicultural people of Great Britain

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...SS&ATTR=Royals

The Queen plays no role in deciding what is stocked in her gift shops.

But a senior source said: “Her Majesty will be furious about this.
    So no evidence of racism at all then. Excellent peice of journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
      I felt physically sick when someone sent me this article]
      I get physically sick every time somebody posts a link to the sun unless it's a page 3 stunna.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I get physically sick every time somebody posts a link to the sun unless it's a page 3 stunna.
        Sorry dude. Normal service resumes shortly.

http://www.page3.com/girl/keeley_hazell/index.shtml
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

FFS I had a gollywog when I was little and it was a great toy, I never saw it as a racist statement.

Those politically correct idiots should go **** themselves!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            FFS I had a gollywog when I was little and it was a great toy, I never saw it as a racist statement.

Those politically correct idiots should go **** themselves!!!
            +1
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

To be fair to the Queen I think the Duke of Edinburgh decides on the stock list for these shops.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              OK, just for you here is another story:
              http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2204851.ece

Comment

Golliwogs were part of my upbringing and an integral part of my culture. I should be shocked if anyone were to attempt to negate my cultural heritage, and would definitely regard that as a racist action.

Comment

But in 2006 police seized three gollies from a shop in in Bromyard, Herefordshire, after complaints. They acted under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, which makes it an offence to display material which could be threatening, abusive or insulting.

I remember this - they sent three police cars to 'raid' the shop before it opened one morning
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

To play devils advocate though, the golliwog's roots comes from stories which recount the "blackface minstrels" theatrical skits of north america.

These skits involved white people blackening their faces and mocking blacks as a form of theatre/comedy generally portraying blacks as stupid, lazy, 2nd class citizens. The popularity grew for this style of comedy and infiltrated popular story books of the time such as Enid Blyton books. This then led to "golliwog" toys becoming popular for children and somehow (never quite understood the reasoning behind it) became the logo for Robertsons jam.

So, although I agree it is part of our childhood, I myself have a "Chef" golliwog badge from collecting jam labels, I can also see the point that it's roots were very racist.

If your grandparents had slaves during your childhood or were openly racist towards others doesn't mean that you can keep slaves or be racist now, times change and things progress.

I personally dont think "golliwogs" should be on sale at Buckingham palace but I also dont think its fair to call someone a racist for things that happened in the past during a time when it was socially accepted to own/want/sell golliwogs.

Chef
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X