• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest Rate Decision Today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Rate Decision Today

I wonder what it will be?

Does anyone care any more?

Is it possible for savers to get less reward than they are at the moment?

Makes me glad I have a mortgage

My first one was 15%
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Interest rate cut 'pointless', experts say

Experts dismissive as Bank of England set to unveil 0.5pc cut.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I wonder what it will be?

Does anyone care any more?

Is it possible for savers to get less reward than they are at the moment?
        I'll take a punt at a drop of 1%. You might as well spend most of your cash (if you have any) seeing as there is no interest being gained anymore.

Cheers Gordon

Comment

Wouldn’t it be better to raise interest rates, thereby encouraging savers to make deposits that can then be lent out? Surely an interest rate cut is useless if there’s no money being lent out?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Does it matter if it goes any lower banks are not passing much onto us anyway.

Comment

Isn't it more to do with banks lending to themselves ??

Comment

IMO

For what the governments around the world are trying to achieve (ie more cash flowing around the system), cutting interest rates has to have a greater effect than most of the other measures they've tried such as the pathetic cut in VAT and underwriting or guaranteeing loans.

If I have more money in my pocket and I'm not going to earn didley squat by saving it, I have two options;

1) Pay off existing debts (my current option) increasing the banks liquidity and allowing them to redress their balance sheets deficits.

2) Spend it, thereby increasing the money spent on the high street, reducing company failures and subsequent redundancies.

Once they've run out of reductions in interest rates (which is just round the corner), the only other way to carry this on would be tax cuts, which the government cannot now afford!
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                  Why would they lend to anyone if they can’t earn any money from it?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                    Who then can't lend it out to customers

Comment

Working...
                    X