• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interest rates down 50bps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they bother?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Why do they bother?
    To make my mortgages cheaper
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
      To make my mortgages cheaper
      Not convinced it will have much effect on the economy though. If anything it might makes things worse in short term ("if interest rates are that low things must be bad : lets save more").

Comment

Not convinced it will have much effect on the economy though. If anything it might makes things worse in short term ("if interest rates are that low things must be bad : lets save more").
        I agree about the wider economy - but it makes a difference to the Bear household economy!
        Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I'm certainly getting less interested.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            I'm certainly getting less interested.
            Its a cracker.... haha

Comment

Which improves the banks balance sheets so that they can either lend less off the taxpayer, or lend more to business or individuals who (through prudent checks) can pay it back!
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

From thisismoney.co.uk

In the wake of the cut, bookmaker Ladrokes cut the odds on rates hitting 0% from 20-1 to 8-1.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                  Which improves the banks balance sheets so that they can either lend less off the taxpayer, or lend more to business or individuals who (through prudent checks) can pay it back!
                  Which is all good in medium/long term. Not good for short term : GB needs it to stand a chance of being re-elected.

Maybe thats the reason behind this decision : to get rid of GB.

Comment

I had the misfortune to catch some of Breakfast TV this morning and they interviewed a bloke who was paying £950/ Month mortgage in the summer and under £300 before any rate change today.
                    His reaction was predictable and sensible:-

"I'm saving some and paying off extra to the mortgage with the rest."

Of course this exactly the opposite of what the Government want to achieve which is Middle Class spending to stimulate the economy, but it's completely rational and sensible.

Comment

Working...
                    X