• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest Rates - can someone explain why...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Rates - can someone explain why...

When the BoE reduce IR, the banks & BS will "normally" reduce rates on mortgages etc, but Credit Card interest rates remain the same?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Its a cartel.

Only way out is to pay off everything you owe.

Comment

Credit card rates have gone up for new customers, personal bank loan rates are twice what they were.

They aren't making money from mortgages so they have to make money elsewhere, how else would they pay the obligatory bonus?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Most of the rate on Credit Cards goes do indemnifying the CC company against bad debt.

(when the rate is 12% the breakdown is something like 2% to borrow the money to lend out, 2% profit, and 8% for bad debt )

bad debt is rising.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
          Most of the rate on Credit Cards goes do indemnifying the CC company against bad debt.

(when the rate is 12% the breakdown is something like 2% to borrow the money to lend out, 2% profit, and 8% for bad debt ).
          So basically the entire credit card industry is toxic?

Comment

If you pay for something over 100 pounds on a credit card and you are defrauded or the goods dodgy, you can claim back the amount paid under the 1974 Credit Card Act, so as a previous poster stated it covers insurance.

Some credit cards also give you an element of automatic travel insurance.

I am for high interest rates because it should deter using CCs for long-term borrowing, and thus building up unaffordable debt.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              So basically the entire credit card industry is toxic?
              It's always had a toxic element yes since they take quite high risk and price accordingly.

They also insure purchases which is additional risk and therefore cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

I am for high interest rates because it should deter using CCs for long-term borrowing, and thus building up unaffordable debt.

A much more sensible option is to raise the minimum payment, it used to be 5% which was too low IMO, in recent years they've been getting away with 2% which is debt trap if ever I saw one.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  A much more sensible option is to raise the minimum payment, it used to be 5% which was too low IMO, in recent years they've been getting away with 2% which is debt trap if ever I saw one.

Good point.
                  I hadn't noticed that the min payment %age had dropped until you mentioned it and I checked the statement that arrived this morning. Admittedly I haven't had a C Card balance for quite a while, but I can see how it would help to perpetuate the debt spiral in many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Good point.
                    I hadn't noticed that the min payment %age had dropped until you mentioned it and I checked the statement that arrived this morning. Admittedly I haven't had a C Card balance for quite a while, but I can see how it would help to perpetuate the debt spiral in many cases.
                    blimey 2%, so if the credit 'boom' continued then what would of it got down to? Would it be a case of borrow it and pay it back when you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X