• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest Rates - can someone explain what...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Rates - can someone explain what...

I'm going to do with the extra money I'm making on my BTL now that the mortgage on my 1% + 0.5 tracker is now actually costing less than half of the rent I'm charging?

Aw capitalism, don't you just love it?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm going to do with the extra money I'm making on my BTL now that the mortgage on my 1% + 0.5 tracker is now actually costing less than half of the rent I'm charging?

Buy more houses, it seems to be working for you.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Send it to me, I'll take care of it for you.

HTH

SB in "Happy to help" mode
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Stock up on tinned soup, cardboard boxes and camping gas.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How long does the tracker last?

Comment

My fixed rate mortgage (4.75%) finished last June. What with all the doom and gloom that was going around this time last year I took the advice of a financial advisor and pre booked a new one in advance at a rate of 5.6% fixed for 3 years. The feeling at the time was that inflation was rocketing and interest rates would be going the same way.

Now I'm seriously p****d off!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              My fixed rate mortgage (4.75%) finished last June. What with all the doom and gloom that was going around this time last year I took the advice of a financial advisor and pre booked a new one in advance at a rate of 5.6% fixed for 3 years. The feeling at the time was that inflation was rocketing and interest rates would be going the same way.

Mine's fixed at 5.89% until June 2010 if it makes you feel any better.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Most experts in 2007 were predicting interest rates to fall to around 3.5% in 2008. It would not have made sense to fix unless you saw inflation rising, but savvy people should have been aware that a combination of high taxes and interest rates were pulling us into a downturn, except of course your advisor, who was probably on a nice commission for arranging a fixed-rate mortgage. If it is any consolation a friend of mine is fixed on 6% with a 250,000 pound mortgage !!

Comment

Doesn't really make me feel any better, though glad I'm not the only one!

I also took his advice on a company pension and am slinging as much of my money at it as I can. The pension pot probably has less in now than when I started just over 1 year ago but sooner there than the taxman's pocket.

By the way, this is the financial advisor that the PCG recommends!

Comment

When I got my .69% tracker last year the advice from the mortgage broker was to fix, but I reasoned that as a contractor I could afford to take the chance.

Oh, and
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X