• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software developers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software developers?

Hi All,

I was wondering should I start contracting in London. I've been working for a couple years(six to be precise) as a permanent. And now despite the tough market I'm thinking about going for a contract.

Can anyone share experiences with a newbie to contracts and let me know what to watch for? Which agencies to avoid and so on.

I went through uk contractor guide but it's always best to hear some news from the source.

Thanks
    Jedrzej

Its been said before. Now isn't a good time for contracting. I would wait a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedrzej View Post
      Hi All,

I was wondering should I start contracting in London. I've been working for a couple years(six to be precise) as a permanent. And now despite the tough market I'm thinking about going for a contract.

Can anyone share experiences with a newbie to contracts and let me know what to watch for? Which agencies to avoid and so on.

I went through uk contractor guide but it's always best to hear some news from the source.

Thanks
      Jedrzej
      Yes, its a great time to start. Try looking here: http://www.jobserve.com/

All the best and good luck.
      I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
        Yes, its a great time to start. Try looking here: http://www.jobserve.com/

All the best and good luck.
        ...and don't worry about the low number of contracts advertised, there is only a few (hundred) devs going for each role.

If you've leaving your permie job due to redundancy then fine, try and give it a go but don't expect much action in the next 9 months.

Comment

Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
          ...and don't worry about the low number of contracts advertised, there is only a few (hundred) devs going for each role.

If you've leaving your permie job due to redundancy then fine, try and give it a go but don't expect much action in the next 9 months.
          Is his missus pregnant then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedrzej View Post
            Which agencies to avoid and so on.
            Agencies in England are best avoided.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
              Is his missus pregnant then?
              hell no. Its just my crappy guess of when things will be stable again

Comment

Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
                hell no. Its just my crappy guess of when things will be stable again
                That's actually well difficult to judge. Not only have you got to figure out when the downturn will bottom out (with all the variables associated with that, like having a incompetent dork running government policy)...but you have to figure out when companies are going to start thinking about investing again - which will probably be way before the media cotton on to it, and possibly before the downturn bottoms out. At that point, contractor vacancies should start appearing.

I would put all the months from Jan 2010 on a dart board and chuck a dart at it. You've probably just as big a chance of being right as doing an in depth economic analysis.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  That's actually well difficult to judge. Not only have you got to figure out when the downturn will bottom out (with all the variables associated with that, like having a incompetent dork running government policy)...but you have to figure out when companies are going to start thinking about investing again - which will probably be way before the media cotton on to it, and possibly before the downturn bottoms out. At that point, contractor vacancies should start appearing.

I would put all the months from Jan 2010 on a dart board and chuck a dart at it. You've probably just as big a chance of being right as doing an in depth economic analysis.
                  You also have to think about the current (over)supply of contractors in the market and the associated demand for the roles. Link this with the type of industry the role is in and the nature of the role, whether it's mainly project or support based, combined with your own abilities too. Seems that lots of contractors are going for very few roles.

As you say, a lot of variables.
                  I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Ok so I just picked a random figure out. But how long can this crunch/crisis go on for? Its birth was in 2007 (I think, if not late 2006), so in 9mths its October/November, so if they don't start investing/recruiting before October/November then its not going to happen much until April 2010.

Unemployment is already just under 2 million, predicted to be 3 million by the end of the year. These figures don't include the likes of contractors who have been on the bench for months, some nearing 12 mths. If things don't pick up this year and unemployment reaches 4 million+ in 2010 then the way GB dishes out benefits and 'bank loans/bailouts', etc, then there won't be much money left to go around in late 2010 2011. Things HAVE to turn around soon.

Lets all say it together.. "I Believe... I Believe..."

Comment

Working...
                    X