• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is he a member of CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is he a member of CUK?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...-Facebook.html

Husband 'ends six-year marriage on Facebook'
    A wife found out that her six-year marriage was over after her husband posted a message on Facebook.

Emma Brady, 39, said she only discovered that she was being divorced when she was telephoned by concerned friends who had read the update.

The message her husband posted on the social networking website simply read: "Neil Brady has ended his marriage to Emma Brady."

Mrs Brady spoke of her shame and anger at their very public separation at Blackburn Magistrates Court, where her husband, a 39-year-old IT consultant, pleaded guilty to assaulting her in a subsequent row.

"This whole thing has been really terrible. All the friends I have on the site are people I have known for years so it's been really humiliating having everything happen so publicly," she said.

"The irony is if he had just asked me for a divorce I would have agreed because I would never have wanted to make him unhappy."

Emma Brady, a conference manager and mother-of-one, said that she was not aware of her husband's message until she received a call from her best friend in Denmark checking if she was all right.

"We were like any other couple. We had our ups and downs but as far as I knew things were fine between us," she told the court.

"When I got the phone call I was shell-shocked. My first instinct was to phone him but my friends at work insisted I should speak to him face to face.

"When I got home I asked Neil if he had anything to tell me and he simply said no. He acted like everything was fine."

Brady of Baxenden, Lancashire, then lost his temper and threw his wife out of the house in her dressing gown – injuring her wrist – and locked her in the back garden. He accused her of having a relationship with another man, and had attempted to take her handbag to look through her mobile phone messages.

Catherine Allan, prosecuting, told the court: "He claimed a police officer had seen her with another man in Accrington. When she told him to contact her manager and ask where she had been he accused her of having an affair with him."

Gareth Price, defending, said that his client had previously raised the prospect of a divorce with his wife, and denied that the first she heard of it was on Facebook.

Brady pleaded guilty to assault and was fined £580 and ordered to pay £100 compensation and £75 costs.

The couple no longer live together but have yet to begin formal divorce proceedings.

I admit it... it isn't me.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

"He claimed a police officer had seen her with another man in Accrington."

Community Policing at its best

Off Topic, but has anybody else noticed that since the Telegraph decided that their web site was crucial to their future, they seem to have overloaded it with so much junk that it takes an absolute age for a page to load into the browser?

I just checked the page linked to above, and it took 11.46 seconds before the whole shebang had arrived.

Worthy of note is that the actual HTML containing the story was a mere 9793 bytes in length (gzipped, which all modern browsers support, including IE), taking 26ms. The picture directly related to the story was 62840 bytes, taking 341ms.

So the entirety of the story, together with accompanying illustration, could have involved less than 64KB, arriving in less than 400ms (for me - Virgin Cable, 8Mb IIRC).

CSS to make it look pretty? 3 HTTP requests, ~10KB, 454ms. Still under a second, but as some of those downloads occur in parallel, we'd probably achieve the half-second goal.

However, including the image that actually illustrates the story, we have 63 HTTP requests for images, comprising 335KB, taking 10.25 seconds.

JavaScript? Oh dear... 39 separate HTTP requests, 93KB, 9.94 seconds - and absolutely none of it necessary for one to read the story; it's all to do with tracking you, serving you ads, or getting you to "digg this" and associated gubbins that you never use.

Their servers are particularly bad at serving that "plz intgr8 me wv yr soshl ntwrk" stuff; the 16x16 pixel "fark" icon took 601ms to arrive, and that wasn't the tardiest of the various trivia on that little bit of the page (on my attempt, the facebook icon took longest - and remember, that's not facebook's fault, for these icons are hosted on the Telegraph's own servers, as the URL of that link demonstrates).

Seriously, do enough Telegraph readers post stories to "fark" that it justifies making everybody suffer?

Just for fun, here are some URLs (my IP address and possible session identifiers suitably modified) appertaining to the place wherefrom they track your behaviour - webtrends.telegraph.co.uk:

http://webtrends.telegraph.co.uk/dcsshgchq00000gscd62rrg43_4o2o/dcs.gif?dcsredirect=126&dcstlh=0&dcstlv=0&dcsdat=1 234596161836&dcssip=www.telegraph.co.uk&dcsuri=/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/4527563/Husband-ends-six-year-marriage-
      on-Facebook.html&WT.tz=0&WT.bh=4&WT.ul=en-US&WT.cd=32&WT.sr=1280x800&WT.jo=Yes&WT.ti=Husband %20'ends%20six-year%20marriage%20on%20Facebook'%20-%20Telegraph&WT.js=Yes&WT.jv=1.5&WT.bs=1169x337&WT .fi=Yes&WT.fv=9.0&WT.vt_f_tlv=
      0&WT.vt_f_tlh=0&WT.vt_f_d=1&WT.vt_f_s=1&WT.vt_f_a= 1&WT.vt_f=1&WT.vt_sid=127.0.0.1-903872864.29434791.1239196161876&WT.co_f=127.0.0.1-903872864.299434791&WT.pi=scienceandtechnology&MLC =/scienceandtechnology/technology/
      facebook/article&Channel=scienceandtechnology&Genre=faceboo k&Category=technology&Content_Type=Story&Level=4&a uthor=By%20Matthew%20Moore%20
      taking 501ms for the princely sum of 67 bytes;

http://webtrends.telegraph.co.uk/dcsshgchq00000gscd62rrg43_4o2o/dcs.gif?&dcsdat=1234596161836&dcssip=www.telegraph .co.uk&dcsuri=/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/4527563/Husband-ends-six-year-marriage-on-Facebook.html&WT.tz=0&WT.bh=4&WT.ul=en-US&WT.cd=32&WT.sr=1280x800&WT.jo=Yes&WT.ti=Husband %20'ends%20six-year%20marriage%20on%20Facebook'%20-%20Telegraph&WT.js=Yes&WT.jv=1.5&WT.bs=1169x337&WT .fi=Yes&WT.fv=9.0&WT.vt_f_tlv=
      0&WT.vt_f_tlh=0&WT.vt_f_d=1&WT.vt_f_s=1&WT.vt_f_a= 1&WT.vt_f=1&WT.vt_sid=127.0.0.1-903872864.29434791.1239196161876&WT.co_f=127.0.0.1-903872864.29434791&WT.pi=scienceandtechnology&MLC=/scienceandtechnology/technology/
      facebook/article&Channel=scienceandtechnology&Genre=faceboo k&Category=technology&Content_Type=Story&Level=4&a uthor=By%20Matthew%20Moore%20
      taking 893ms for the princely sum of an HTTP 303 response

Comment

[QUOTE=NickFitz;764729]

Community Policing at its best

Off Topic, but has anybody else noticed that since the Telegraph decided that their web site was crucial to their future, they seem to have overloaded it with so much junk that it takes an absolute age for a page to load into the browser?

I just checked the page linked to above, and it took 11.46 seconds before the whole shebang had arrived.

2.13 seconds for me, you need a new PC and or ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post

Yes : the website is dreadful. Seems to load videos and send something to digg.com.

One of the reasons I usually post the full article.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

JavaScript? Oh dear... 39 separate HTTP requests, 93KB, 9.94 seconds - and absolutely none of it necessary for one to read the story; it's all to do with tracking you, serving you ads, or getting you to "digg this" and associated gubbins that you never use.

It just took an instant to upload - I've got NoScript on my FireFox
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And WTF was he doing wearing tinted specs on his wedding day?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post

2.13 seconds for me, you need a new PC and or ISP.

I agree - pleanty fast for me.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Works fine on Vista / IE 7.
                  Hangs for 10+ seconds most times on main browsing netbook - Acer Aspire one with Firefox v2

I read the Times most days now as a result! Oh, and the Daily Wail for a laugh!!

EFA - they may have fixed it now as it's loading quickly today?
                  Last edited by ctdctd; 6 February 2009, 16:58.

Comment

Well Firefox has just updated to 3.0.6 and it says:

Improved Performance

View Web pages faster, using less of your computer’s memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X