• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first contract

I've been reading the diary of a first contract on the front page and got me thinking about my first contract, rather different to his experiences.

This was back in the mid 80's and I packed my permie job in due to a difference of opinion with management where I was working. I had applied for a job with the GLC but that fell through, luckily, so I had no work to go straight to. I was unable to sign on as I had resigned but after a couple of weeks I went to the unemployment office and put the case to them that if I had no money then it was not possible for me to go for interviews and that seemed to work, I managed to get something like the princely sum of GBP54 a week.

Anyway, I knew vaguely about contracting and used to get Computer Talk and so sent off my CV for a contract for a Senior Operator in North London. The agency got back to me and we had a quick chat on the phone and I was asked to start the next day at 24:00 for the night shift. A contract would be on its way to me and I was all set, nearly. The contract was in Cockfosters, a place I had never heard of and to cap it all I had no transport. So after seeing a mate of mine I bought his old Suzuki GT750 (the 3 cylinder 2 stroke beastie,) looked on a map and got a vague idea of where it was. Now I was ready.

Come the following day I slept a bit and at around 23:30 made my way from home (Brentwood) up to Cockfosters. I arrived at my new place employment, it was quite easy to find as it was the only big building for miles plus it had the company name on the roof, and made myself known to the security guard hidden in a side entrance who, of course, knew nothing about me. He called up to the computer room and eventually my new shift leader came down and mentioned he had heard something about a new guy and took me up to meet the guys. I spent the first night learning how to handle the laser printer and then take the print out to another room and to use the electric guillotine as this was the job no-one wanted to do, so the contractor got it.

Eventually I got accepted and they realised that I did in fact know quite a bit more than most of them did and settled into a slightly more senior role, as in not doing the printer anymore. I ended up taking a permie position with them after 6 months as they offered interest free loans which I took advantage of and then left them about 6 months later.

This was all for the princely sum of GBP5.50 an hour at the start which I managed to work up to GBP10 at the end.

That was my start, humble it may have been but its got me to here, kind of...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

September 1999 I was living living in Brighton having left my IT job two weeks' earlier not far from the beach. I was about to start my first contract for three days in west London beginning the next morning 9am. I wasn't used to being awake 9am, let alone reporting to an office many miles away up in the city first thing in the morning, so I set three alarms for six and then went down the local pub to celebrate my new contract.

Needless to say I had a skinful and wasn't too bright and breezy on the long train ride to London, but somehow I made it on time to the client's site and did a sterling first day's work for them. My three day contract was extended to two weeks and then three months. I was paid more money than I had ever had before and contracting opened up a whole new world for me. But more than that I realised that London was the place I wanted to be, it was a great exciting metropolis and Brighton suddenly felt like the small parochial seaside town that it really is. I made London my home shortly afterwards and never looked back.

Ten years later I still visit friends down in Brighton, and the crazy thing is some have barely moved on since I was last there. To me the town has been frozen in time since I boarded 7:47am London Victoria train September 1999 to my first contract.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

"This was back in the mid 80's"

You old bastard.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        September 1999 I was living living in Brighton having left my IT job two weeks' earlier not far from the beach.

Ten years later I still visit friends down in Brighton, and the crazy thing is some have barely moved on since I was last there. To me the town has been frozen in time since I boarded 7:47am London Victoria train September 1999.
        Spooky. Same place. Same time. Same train trips.

and yes, Brighton is still stuck in a timewarp!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          September 1999 I was living living in Brighton having left my IT job two weeks' earlier not far from the beach. I was about to start my first contract for three days in west London beginning the next morning 9am. I wasn't used to being awake 9am, let alone reporting to an office many miles away up in the city first thing in the morning, so I set three alarms for six and then went down the local pub to celebrate my new contract.

Needless to say I had a skinful and wasn't too bright and breezy on the long train ride to London, but somehow I made it on time to the client's site and did a sterling first day's work for them. My three day contract was extended to two weeks and then three months. I was paid more money than I had ever had before and contracting opened up a whole new world for me. But more than that I realised that London was the place I wanted to be, it was a great exciting metropolis and Brighton suddenly felt like the small parochial seaside town that it really is. I made London my home shortly afterwards and never looked back.

Ten years later I still visit friends down in Brighton, and the crazy thing is some have barely moved on since I was last there. To me the town has been frozen in time since I boarded 7:47am London Victoria train September 1999 to my first contract.

So what are you doing for your ten year anniversary?

My 10 years was last year, time flies eh?

Comment

January 1978, I was programming in RPG II on an IBM 370/115 under DOS/VS. Pencil on coding sheets, and hand-punching 96-column cards. I'm afraid I was just attracted by the money: I couldn't see why I could get so much more for doing the same work. I still can't, except that a permie must have a lot more people living off his earnings.

Anyway I applied for a contract, got an "interview" with an agent in a pub at lunchtime, and a start in 3 weeks - had to persuade employer to let me go.

Team of 9, all contractors, all but 1 first-timers. I had to do a COBOL proficiency test. I did it and scored well, but then criticised the test. Later when I mentioned that to the PM, he said "you all did it and then criticised it; that's why I took you".

Travel was from flat in Notting Hill (before it was trendy) to Croydon. Contract rates (160.00 per week) and commute OUTWARDS on a train with a buffet car, I thought I had it made. As indeed I had, it's never been so good since.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              January 1978, I was programming in RPG II on an IBM 370/115 under DOS/VS. Pencil on coding sheets, and hand-punching 96-column cards. I'm afraid I was just attracted by the money: I couldn't see why I could get so much more for doing the same work. I still can't, except that a permie must have a lot more people living off his earnings.
              Jurassic park called , they are missing you

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                Jurassic park called , they are missing you
                You didn't say the magic word.

Comment

Working...
                X