• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£2000 free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£2000 free

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/gre...-guzzlers.html

Motorists could receive cash payments from the Government of up to £2,000 to trade in their old gas guzzler for a new eco-friendly model, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

Ministers are actively considering a "scrappage" incentive scheme, similar to those already introduced in a number of European Union countries.

It would be introduced as an emergency measure during the recession, and would have the additional benefit of helping the industry to reach the Government's green targets.

This is the start of printing money.

Next week, government will hand out £10K to anyone who lives in a Labour marginal.

More tax payers money well spent then
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

They're doing this in Germany for a few months and it has been well over subscribed. Your car needed to over 9 years old and then the dealer would scrap it and give you a piece of paper as proof which aou would then send off and get your money (although you can transfer this to the dealer and get the money discounted.) I reckon most of the cars will end up in Eastern Europe personally. The idea here was not only to get people buying eco-friendly cars but also to help the car industry, the only problem is that most people are buying foreign cars, oh!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You talk as though this were a foul undemocratic scheme invented by Gordon Brown. In fact several European countries have already implemented such a scheme years ago. Why do we always talk as if Not Invented Here = doesn't exist/don't want it?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          You talk as though this were a foul undemocratic scheme invented by Gordon Brown. In fact several European countries have already implemented such a scheme years ago. Why do we always talk as if Not Invented Here = doesn't exist/don't want it?
          I don't want it because the £2K per car free comes from my taxes and I'd rather my taxes were used on health, education and crime prevention, not paying for the bloke next door to buy a shiny new car.

HTH

Comment

People driving 9 year old cars are unlikely to be swimming in good credit ratings and disposable income!

Stupid idea in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I don't want it because the £2K per car free comes from my taxes and I'd rather my taxes were used on health, education and crime prevention, not paying for the bloke next door to buy a shiny new car.

HTH
              Yeah, OK, but "not a desirable fiscal policy in my view" is not exactly how you weighed in! Rather, you impled that this was a plan to buy votes.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Yeah, OK, but "not a desirable fiscal policy in my view" is not exactly how you weighed in! Rather, you impled that this was a plan to buy votes.
                Of course it doubles as vote buying too. Those driving very old bangers are likely to be core Labour voters.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Of course it doubles as vote buying too. Those driving very old bangers are likely to be core Labour voters.
                  Not in France and Germany, where they already have schemes like this.

That's my point: look a bit wider, learn from others, don't see everything as if there was only the UK.

Comment

My Primera is 11 years old, does 30mpg and is probably worth about £500. I'll happily take £2000 for it thankyou very much Mr Brown.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X