• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for VAT inspection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for VAT inspection

Got a call asking me to ring back for an appointment to do a VAT inspection.

Took advice from my numbers man before ringing back. His words were - be co-operative, don't offer any voluntary information, don't let them on your premises, and don't let them near the bank statements. Get them to do it by post (as my ltd is a member of the FRS, and invoices <10 times per quarter). According to him that is totally reasonable and normal.

Called them back. Person seemed to be reading from a script - demanding to visit on premises, "verify the type of business", view bank statements etc.

I said I would like to co-operate but am at client sites during Mon-Fri, what about a Saturday visit or <hint> doing it via post.

Person told me none of those options have ever been agreed to before. After pressing the point, they are going to ring me back once they have conferred on this.

Any input, war stories or advice will be gratefully received.

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post

Took advice from my numbers man before ringing back. His words were - be co-operative, don't offer any voluntary information, don't let them on your premises, and don't let them near the bank statements. Get them to do it by post (as my ltd is a member of the FRS, and invoices <10 times per quarter). According to him that is totally reasonable and normal.

Called them back. Person seemed to be reading from a script - demanding to visit on premises, "verify the type of business", view bank statements etc.

I said I would like to co-operate but am at client sites during Mon-Fri, what about a Saturday visit or <hint> doing it via post.

Person told me none of those options have ever been agreed to before. After pressing the point, they are going to ring me back once they have conferred on this.

Run....

Comment

Close the business, take all the money, and leave the country. That way, you won't be investigated.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

apart from all the obvious stuff

Comment

apart from all the obvious stuff
          Sit tight and wait for them to get in touch. If they refuse to do it by post or on Saturday, speak to your Accountant, have a meeting with them and then arrange to meet the VAT man and say that you plan to invoice them for loss of business. I can't really suggest anything else to be honest.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I handed it straight over to my accountant. They did the audit at his place. After 4 hours they found I had not paid £57 in VAT. My accountant pointed out I should have claimed about £90 other VAT. Accountant agreed not to claim it if they went away and stopped being so silly.

My accountant really really hates government bodies.

Comment

VAT visits are a piece of cake. If you have been paying what you should you will have absolutely nothing to fear.

Comment

That's the thing.

FRS = no vat being claimed on purchases

I've sent no more than 20 invoices this year from April 2008. My returns are all clean as a nun's conscience.

The words were coming out of my mouth, going into the telephone, passing out through the receiver and then ... who knows?

Comment

This is why I have my accountant's premises at the registered business address. If any part of revenue and customs wants to do an inspection at the registered address they are quite welcome to do so and my accountant is on hand to answer any questions.

Also means I can't inadvertently say anything that could be taken the wrong way causing more pointless investigations to be triggered....

Comment

Is your accountanty qualified?

1) It is normal for a a VAT inspection to take place on your premises. The idea that they should come to a client is just silly.

2) You have no choice but to show them your bank statement. How else are they supposed to reconcile your accounts?

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X