• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you in control of your own life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you in control of your own life?

What is your philosophical view on your own destiny?
    Determinism (fate/destiny).
    40.00%
    Indeterminism / free will (I control the outcome).
    20.00%
    AndyW controls me.
    40.00%
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Personally I think that everything that happens is a combination of the past and present, and therefore the future (however complex) is predictable and I'm not in control (even though I feel I am in my mind - it's only an illusion).
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      What is your philosophical view on your own destiny?
      That whatever plans I make, somebody else's God - that I don't even believe in - will piss on them just before they work out.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Magic 8 ball rules over me with an iron hand.

Who's this AndyW and why does he need to be an option in every poll?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Good andyw option.

I am not sure who controls my life : I must ask Mrs BP.....

Comment

I think sheet happens.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think its a bit of both free will and destiny, you have to make a lot of choices based on what life throws at you, so you have free will to decide but alot of the time you can't control the reason you have to make these choices.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I think sheet happens.
                And entropy.

Yesterday I had the mouse I use with the laptop die on me - but that gave me the excuse to buy a nice new wireless one (30 quid pcworld)

This morning I discover that the digital camera that I haven't used in three months has died. Don't know what I'm going to do about that. I fancy a nice new one, but I could do without the expense at the moment. Suppose I could get a cheap one for now.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I am a finite-state machine

Comment

I don't see how free will is possible as it implies our brains can choose not to follow basic physical laws somehow. The future and our thoughts are deterministic but impossible to determine without actually running the program is my guess. QM says randomness is fundamental to everything, but I don't believe in randomness either.

Comment

Working...
                    X