• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

True Grit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True Grit

In previous winters the gritters were out a lot whenever frost was forecast. But we had none all last week in mid Bucks, despite treacherous roads in the snow.

Why is it they've suddenly run out this winter? Did they think global warming would do away with the need for gritters?

Well, it's down to cost, essentially.

For the sort of severe snow we receive once every 2 decades or so, it's simply not cost effective to spend millions and millions having an infrastructure that can deal with it.

I agreee with Geoff Hoon.

"Don't Whinge"
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

For the sort of severe snow we receive once every 2 decades or so, it's simply not cost effective to spend millions and millions having an infrastructure that can deal with it.

"Don't Whinge"

YerbutNobut

When I was a nipper we had grit bins on every street corner, so we could grit the roads ourselves. Even they've gone.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        When I was a nipper we had grit bins on every street corner, so we could grit the roads ourselves. Even they've gone.
        When I was a nipper we used to have a thing called the rates which paid for the council to provide services.

But I'm an old farty and I don't understand modern things.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

YerbutNobut

WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

"Don't Whinge"
            You didn't read the post properly, which included:

In previous winters the gritters were out a lot whenever frost was forecast.

Roads were nearly always OK. So why doesn't that happen any more, starting this winter? What decision was made, and by whom?

Comment

I'm guessing - but could be wrong - that in previous years if there was heavy snowfall in one area they could buy in more grit if they ran out or borrow it from a neighbouring council.

However, this has affected most of the country for a substantial period of time. The salt mines are running 24/7 but can't keep up with demand and authorities are being coy about how much they have in case the government tell them to lend it to someone else. The only 'donation' of grit I've heard of was for Wiltshire.

And I'm sure I read once that it was a balancing act between not having enough and having too much grit - does it perish/have an effective shelf life?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
                The only 'donation' of grit I've heard of was for Wiltshire.
                Here in Wiltshire, we have an A-road outside the front door. It has been kept clear by the weight of traffic, not the council. The first time we saw a gritter was Friday evening, and we have the chips on the windscreen to prove it. Tossers. Is it necessary to grit the field on the opposite side of the road? They must have been using one of those gritters that operates the M25 and grits all the lanes at once from one side.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

YerbutNobut

When I was a nipper we had grit bins on every street corner, so we could grit the roads ourselves.
                  I remember them. I never knew what they were there for. I never knew they were for DIY purposes.
                  My lesson for today.

Comment

Grit_supplies_erroded_by_global_warming

Comment

Working...
                    X