• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Government planning a giant travel database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Government planning a giant travel database

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7877182.stm
    Government plans travel database

The government is compiling a database to track and store the international travel records of millions of Britons.

Computerised records of all 250 million journeys made by individuals in and out of the UK each year will be kept for up to 10 years.

The government says the database is essential in the fight against crime, illegal immigration and terrorism.

But opposition MPs and privacy campaigners fear it is a significant step towards a surveillance society.

The intelligence centre will store names, addresses, telephone numbers, seat reservations, travel itineraries and credit card details of travellers.

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said: "The government seems to be building databases to track more and more of our lives.

"The justification is always about security or personal protection. But the truth is that we have a government that just can't be trusted over these highly sensitive issues. We must not allow ourselves to become a Big Brother society."

A spokesman for campaign group NO2ID said: "When your travel plans, who you are travelling with, where you are going to and when are being recorded you have to ask yourself just how free is this country?"

The e-Borders scheme covers flights, ferries and rail journeys and the Home Office says similar schemes run in other countries including the US, Canada, Spain and Australia.

Minister of State for borders and immigration Phil Woolas said the government was determined to ensure the UK's border remained one of the toughest in the world.

"Our hi-tech electronic borders system will allow us to count all passengers in and out of the UK and [it] targets those who aren't willing to play by our rules," he said.

"Already e-Borders has screened over 75 million passengers against immigration, customs and police watch-lists, leading to over 2,700 arrests for crimes such as murder, rape and assault."
    Is it just me or does the UK border have so many ways to get in and out without being recorded that this sounds like it will be one expensive waste of time that provides no benefit but increases the compliance costs for the companies that provide transport?

I was driven over to France for a day-out by a mate once, we took his car on Eurostar.

I think our passports were looked at on the way back, but there was never any record of me leaving or entering the UK.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Is it just me or does the UK border have so many ways to get in and out without being recorded that this sounds like it will be one expensive waste of time that provides no benefit but increases the compliance costs for the companies that provide transport?
    Terrorists will get round it easily : but they are not the target. It is Joe Public who the government want to control.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7877182.stm

I was driven over to France for a day-out by a mate once, we took his car on Eurostar.

I think our passports were looked at on the way back, but there was never any record of me leaving or entering the UK.
      Who let him take a car on Eurostar? How did he get the car through the doors?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

This is counter terrorism?

Mare like counter tourism!
        (which is one of the very few sources of income this country is depending on right now)
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Who let him take a car on Eurostar? How did he get the car through the doors?
          Was it a small fold up car?

In my experience they will scan your passport on the way out, and on the way in, so obviously that information is being stored somewhere.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's probably mostly a matter of trying to keep the Yanks happy, given this:

CIA warns Barack Obama that British terrorists are the biggest threat to the US
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hello, is Mr Gonzo there? No, his wife speaking. It’s the HM Data Dept here. Just a routine check, we are here to protect the nation. Under the Data Government Protection Act 2010 you are not permitted to tell your husband about this phone call. Our computer has alerted us to the fact that Mr Gonzo has flown three times this year on the same flight as a Miss Smith. Do you know her? Also his SATNAV printout is showing he has driven near several schools this year. Does he have an interest in kids? Does he have a need for three email accounts?
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Isn't a Giant Travel Database Sizeist ?

What criteria must be met to qualify ?

Over 6' ?
                Over 5' 8" ?

What is the purpose of tracking Giants ? (Unless you are a D&D Ranger, and Giants are your speciality species, perhaps)

Are all these giants naughty ? What have they done ?

The government needs to come clean.

signed,

Jolly Green Giant

(Ho, Ho ,Ho)

/Serious

This is a waste of time and money, because the terrorists are already here. They live in our country already and are being radicalised here. They don't need to pass Border Control. All they need is a phone call to get to work.

/Serious
                Last edited by Board Game Geek; 8 February 2009, 12:57.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

More to the point, the consortium who won the e-borders contract is headed up by Raytheon - and they are crying out for people as the project is going a bit t1ts up (so i've heard).

They need Linux bods asap and are paying about £50 an hour - based out of brentford or swindon.

Every cloud...

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                    More to the point, the consortium who won the e-borders contract is headed up by Raytheon - and they are crying out for people as the project is going a bit petals up (so i've heard).

They need Linux bods asap and are paying about £50 an hour - based out of brentford or swindon.

Every cloud...
                    Got any contact details? I know that they seem to be eating "Technical Architects" at an amazing rate. seems every 6 weeks someone calls me about that place then moans about not having an SC...

Comment

Working...
                    X