• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Woes

Hi to all, first time posting !

I've got a question and I'd appreciate some feed back

I got my first contract in September last year, working under an umbrella company,which was meant to run until the start of March of this year. At the start of the year, first day back, I was told that my contract would need to be terminated early,basically to save the company I was contracted to some money. They had made people redundant just before Xmas and then some more at the start of the year. Anyway, they cut 5 weeks of my due end date. This didnt bother me TOO much as I had had an offer of a permanent job after my contract had finished, so apart from the loss of money it didnt seem a big deal.
    A week before my contract was going to end they wanted the project I was working on to go live. As with any IT projects there were a few problems, but nothing too major, but on the last day of my contract they found a couple of major problems. I worked all weekend (this is AFTER my contract had finished) to fix them and I think I have sorted it out.
    I now start my new permanent job, but I'm concerned that I'm going to have the previous job contacting me all the time wanting me to fix problems,something that my boss there said he would do. I won't have the time what with starting the new job, so basically what is my legal standpoint, considering it was them that terminated the contract early?

I had some problems with the agency trying to get paid all the way through the contract, and from the start of this year was doing some stupid hours, at least 4 hours overtime a night and working all weekends, all for no pay, just to try and meet the project deadline, which they set, so I dont think I'll be trying contracting again for a while!

Many thanks,
    Alan

You've worked for nothing and you're worried they will ask you to fix problems??

If they contact you send them an invoice for all the extra hours you have already put in, I guarantee you wont hear from them again.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

First off never ever go on site without a contract. You'll find you're not insured etc. etc. etc. If there'd been an accident you would have been taken to the cleaners and hung out to dry.

By working for no pay means that of course that guy will call you, over and over, and then some, because you're a soft touch.

Don't bother with contracting again if the only way you can get work is by working for nothing.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

WHS.

Offer them a work package - talk about money immediately after "Hello! Wasn't expecting you to call so soon!"

Politely refuse to answer any questions until the issue of money and invoicing has been resolved - and ask for a written contract with all negotiations in place.

Do nothing until you have it agreed in writing.

They won't bother you again...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

..Or simply say.

"I am unable to help you as I'm with another employer which prevents me from working for other companies. Sorry..."
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            WHS.

Offer them a work package - talk about money immediately after "Hello! Wasn't expecting you to call so soon!"

Politely refuse to answer any questions until the issue of money and invoicing has been resolved - and ask for a written contract with all negotiations in place.

Do nothing until you have it agreed in writing.

They won't bother you again...
            WSS

Apart from the work package, sorry, but you sound a soft touch so maybe taking work on in that way is not something you're ready for yet. I'd suggest you make sure it's a 'time and materials' contract, as it sounds like they like to move goal posts.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I don't think he wants anything more to do with them, threaded...

Just be a man and say "Thanks - but No Thanks"....

Comment

Ask yourself this

What will happen if I don't do any more work for these people?

You'll still not get paid, and not have to do any work. Id go with that if I were you.

This client needs to learn that ending a contract, as well as saving them some money, also has an unfortunate negative side to it ; that of not getting the work done anymore. It's confusing for them I know, but it might be worth pointing it out to them.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                  This client needs to learn that ending a contract, as well as saving them some money, also has an unfortunate negative side to it ; that of not getting the work done anymore. It's confusing for them I know, but it might be worth pointing it out to them.
                  Good point, well made....

Comment

Threaded, I wasn't trying to be a 'soft touch', although unfortunately it probably comes across as such. It was my first contract and I really wanted to make sure that I could make it go well. As such I ended up doing stupid hours, and I mean stupid hours. Still, we learn by our mistakes and the next time I do, or should I say IF I do contracting again, I'll be sure not to make that mistake again. And I'm not sure what you meant about not going on site with a contract? I did have a contract.

The annoying thing is, they still have a 1 weeks timesheet to signoff, I'm hoping they dont starting being funny about that.

I appreciate all the replies, I guess that when I get the phone call on Monday I just say, in as many words, tough luck.

Cheers
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X